Nuno Felt Top Class

Hi I gave a private class to Anne last week end. Well really we started earlier with talking about what she wanted to make and what she wanted to make it out of  and then dying her silk. In the end she decided a long top was most versatile and she had one that she really liked so we used it as a template for the seamless garment technique. You can see the outline under the silk. we went from that and sized it up to allow for shrinkage.

Anne Likes sparkle so she added some silk and some super bright trilobal nylon I had dyed. If you click on the picture you can see the sparkle better.

And of course there was lots of rubbing and rolling

This was the first try on . It needed to pull in a bit more under the bust for a better fit.

Ann came back the next day and she made a matching scarf and a bracelet in different colours. I forgot to take pictures of  the scarf on its own or the bracelet at all. We did take a picture of the finished top and scarf on my dress form. I had to take a lot of pictures to get a good one as it was windy.

Ann took some pictures at home later. If you are a member of the wet felt makers group on Facebook you will have seen these.

I really like the way this green scarf works with the purple. And how well it goes with a glass of wine and the great shoes.

Anne was a great student. She listed well and asked lots of questions. I think she had a great time, I know I really enjoyed teaching her. I am looking forward to seeing what else she makes.

This entry was posted in Classes, Inspiration, Nuno Felting, resists, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Nuno Felt Top Class

1. Karen says:

Just gorgeous! I love the color, texture and cut. Perfect!

You’re a good teacher – the top looks wonderful!

What a wonderful tunic top. It has lovely drape and I’m sure she will enjoy wearing it. Looks like another fun teaching experience.

The end product looks amazing, Ann! Well done, you’re a good teacher 😀

Wow, what a big project. But it turned out great and the scarf really sets it off. Great job to both Anne and Ann!

6. meterrilee says:

This is great! Especially if this was her first time… wow! May I ask your method for sizing up? I think it is different with every fiber…? The only way to determine shrinkage that I have read about is to make a swatch, then somehow determine the percentage of shrinkage, and then somehow apply that to the finished size you are aiming for. That’s a lot of “somehow’s!” But I think the shape and possibly even the size of the piece would come into play. The “sizing up” aspect of making a garment is intimidating to me. And, potentially you are using a lot of fiber, so mistakes could be costly.

• Thank you . yes, you need to make a swatch exactly the way you plan to make the big item. If you make it 10 by 10 you can calculate the percentage shrinkage easily.

7. Wow Ann, you just look a manikin, great job ! Nice color too. Did you sew the neckline ?

8. Lise G says:

Beautiful result! A lot of work I assume! How long did the whole project take? (Please and thank you.)

Wow, that’s really nice! Well done, Ann and Anne! That teal green scarf really goes well, did Anne make that too?

10. Karen Lane says:

What a beautiful top and Anne looks fabulous in it! I would be over the moon if it was mine. A Nuno garment is one of the next projects I would like to tackle….are you in the UK Ann?