First Quarter Fauvism Challenge

First Quarter Fauvism Challenge

I’m really late doing the first quarter Fauvism challenge, I thought I understood it, but every time I had an idea and started to work on it, it didn’t seem right. I finally decided on a picture to use last week, one of my favourite pictures of the lake at Sefton Park, Aigburth. I used it for a previous challenge, Marilyn’s Monet Challenge, and thought it’d be interesting to do a comparison. Then right at the last minute yesterday after looking at the other entries and googling ‘fauvism’ again, it didn’t seem right! But, looking at the other entries reminded me of my sister’s photo which I used to make a felt picture a couple of years ago. Here’e the post if you don’t remember:  and here’s the picture I made:

I took the original photo (without permission, hope she doesn’t mind!) and altered the colours in Photoshop:

I’d had in my head that Fauvism was really bright, but the more I looked, the more I saw muted colours, unsaturated shades. There’s one particular jade green that I started to see everywhere! I simplified the picture to get the colour bands:

And added some ‘accented edges’:

Then I blended the last one and first one together:

A lot of the Fauvist paintings had roughly blended brush strokes and patchy areas so I blended some colours for each band to try to get that effect:

I don’t know which photo shows it better:

Then I added embellishment fibres for mre effect, this is some Kapok on the pink, there’s a bit of silk on the blue, trilobal nylon on the orange, and nylon staple on the blue:

I don’t know why I did that second band blue, I can see it’s green on the photo, I clearly wrote ‘green’ on my template, and somehow chose blue! Maybe I tilted my laptop screen back too far (good excuse!) I did realise before felting and changed it:

The other embellishments and fibres I added are: some dark blue wool and light blue nylon for trees at the top; some green wool and red nylon for trees between the top orange row and blue one underneath it; green and yellow viscose staple on the green layer and some dark blue nylon for a hedge. The track lines are wool; I used viscose and nylon on the lower orangey band, and the blue/purple band at the bottom has dyed cotton nepps and nylon staple fibre added. This angle might show them a bit better:

I only got it felted early evening, so here it is pegged on the washing line to dry, I haven’t even had a look at it yet today!

I love the colours, but I put far more detail and work into the first one, so it looks dull and flat in comparison, so I think I will add some stitching to this to improve it 🙂

11 thoughts on “First Quarter Fauvism Challenge

  1. I love the colours and whole piece is perfect for the challenge – I look forward to seeing the stitching.
    I do remember the fabulous piece you made and the altered image is a lovely piece of art!

    1. Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      It looks less flat and dull now it’s dry and all the fibres are shiny or visible.

    1. Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      It does look more landscapey now it’s dry too, not just bands of colour.

  2. Great colors for the challenge. It was hard to come up with a subject but your landscape idea worked well.

    1. Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      I hope my sewing skills are good enough to improve it!

    1. Thanks, Ann 🙂
      Yeah, I should have done Ruth’s class, I need to get a darning foot for machine though.

  3. I had to look up Fauvism and from what I saw this piece is looking terrific! The colours are spot on for the style and you wouldn’t need to do too much in the way of definition. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: