Bright Nuno Pieces

Some slightly more ‘conventional’ nuno felt this week. Well, conventional to me anyway 🙂 I made a piece similar to this first one a while ago and it was really popular and sold, so I thought I’d make another one:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI’m thinking that next time I make something which is ‘double sided’, I’m going to flip the layout over when I’ve finished the first layer, because the top always looks better than the underneath. It looks alright, but was definitely better on the side I worked on:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI love the shiny ripples of silk nuno:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI used a strip torn from a viscose scarf on another piece I made:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI think you can see the ripples a bit better on an angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe ripples were so uniform and neat, I couldn’t decide which close up to use, so I’m posting 3 🙂

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Bright Nuno Pieces

1. Lucette says:

Gorgeous!

2. Joyce Schwaller says:

Very gorgeous!

3. Looks very nice !! Love those bright colors.

It’s always a good plan to make what sells! I can see why though – it’s beautiful – I like the little black and white bits as they make the rest more colourful, if that makes sense.

The ripples on the second piece put me to mind of herringbone tweed.

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      Yeah, I like the black and white parts too, I thought the bright parts made them stand out more, but you’re right too!

They are lovely. Just the right amount of rippling. I like the idea of double sided Nuno. I wonder if the shrinkage would be any different? I’m sure you’ll let us know,

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      I meant double sided as in doing the colourful patches for the back or what might be the inside of something, but yeah, fabric on both sides does affect shrinkage 🙂

6. Lovely pieces. I have been making some smaller nuno pieces to cut up too. Maybe I will talk about them my next post.

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      Sometimes I try to make pieces specifically to cut up for collage etc, and I find it really hard!

7. ingeborg monticelllo says:

Thank you, Zed! It’s a harmonious and lively fabric combination in the first piece and wonderful close ups of the second. How much more time do you expect to securely felt in synthetic fabric vs natural fiber fabrics? I am having trouble with synthetics and suspect that I get impatient and move on to fulling too quickly.

Thanks Ingeborg 🙂
      I honestly don’t know the answer to that, sorry! I was talking about this recently because at times I’ve used some of the same wools/fabrics as someone else, and not had a problem, but they have. I don’t know if we just get to the stage where we just instinctively know, or subconciously alter techniques with different wools/fabrics. I tend to felt the exact same way for everything. I stand up, wet down the top, flip, wet down the back, rub then remove netting and work on the edges. Replace netting, flip. Then just rub the front, flip and rub the back, remove netting and either rotate the felt or netting to rub in the other direction. And repeat. I tend to spend a bit more time rubbing on the front/fabric side with nuno. Then I squeeze water out and full on bubblewrap. I just know that by the time I’ve gone through the steps, the piece is felted. One thing I did discover recently was that some of my synthetics which tend to attach loosely, especially at the edges, attached better when I made textured nuno, with much less wool and more felting/ fulling. Some fabrics just work better for some results/techniques. Wool wisps over the edges helps though 🙂

Some lovely pieces there zed. I love the first one with the black and white pieces which make the colours ‘pop’!