Finding Composition and Design in the Tropics

I have been in Florida visiting my mom for the last week. I didn’t have time to do any fiber art but I certainly found a lot of inspiration everywhere I looked. I also found lots of elements of composition and design. I like to take photos of different color schemes, different shapes, line, texture as well as other elements of design. So I thought I would show you some of what I saw in Florida. I always think it is good to occasionally give creating a rest or a vacation so that when you come back to it, you will be relaxed and have gained new insight from your travels.

Tropical plants have lots of color. I found many green and red complimentary color schemes.

And a variety of lines.

Textures were everywhere.

And then I was inspired by different shapes (and more color).

What elements of design do you see in these photos? What photos do you take when you’re on vacation? How would you use these photos to inspire your work?

Don’t forget to sign up for Teri Berry’s Concertina Felt Hat Class. Registration closes on October 31st!. Sign up here.

This entry was posted in Design and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Finding Composition and Design in the Tropics

A lot of my photos are similar to yours Ruth – I snap away at anything interesting. At the time of snapping I usually have no idea what influence a photo may have, but simply by focusing the camera I have looked closer at the subject than I would have done otherwise.
    Your photos show texture, movement, pattern, shapes and colour – I’ll bet some of these make it into your print work.

• ruthlane says:

Lyn, good to hear that someone else takes photos like this. Most people look at me like “what is she doing?”. 🙂

• Lyn says:

I’ve actually had sneery comments from some family members! We were sitting in the garden of a pub on a summer’s evening and as the sun went down I saw some amazing changes of light on plants and in the sky so I just had to grab a few photos on my phone. The comments didn’t bother me – I inwardly felt superior because I could see things that they obviously couldn’t.

• ruthlane says:

Good for you Lyn, you definitely have the “artist’s eye”.

Nice pics Ruth. Yes, there is a lot of lovely scenery and flora in Florida. I’m sure Lyn is right and we’ll be seeing it in your work. I’ll be back there myself in a few weeks.

3. I also find lots of inspiration in nature, and my photos are much like yours. I look for colour scemes and texture, but also interesting shapes. It is truly inspiring!

4. I had al the lovely fall colours to inspire me. Before I started looking for inspiration. I used to have very definite I don’t like orange or green. When a started paying more attention I realised I do like those colours even if I don’t want a bright orange dress. My mom used to take the most amazing close up pictures of moss and fungus. They looked like little cities.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Ann, I too used to say I didn’t like orange but I use it much more frequently now. I love close up photos of moss and fungus. Do you still have any of your mom’s photos?

5. Flextiles says:

Very inspiring photos Ruth. When I was young I was told “red and green should never be seen” but nature proves them wrong! 🙂

• ruthlane says:

Thanks! I love red and green together. It doesn’t have to be Christmas colors. There are many variations of the two colors that make great color schemes.

Ha, I get the weird looks and people wondering what I’m doing too, though no one bats an eye at everyone taking photos of themselves! These are great photos, Ruth, I can see how they can inspire colour schemes, textured felt, compositions, using resists and like Lyn says, your prints too.