Along with the pink hat commission, ( https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2016/04/21/an-order-for-a-hat/) a decorative flower was requested.
The flower is to be orange. I did some dying to get some nice shades or orange. https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2016/04/30/i-did-some-dying-on-the-weekend/
I made several flowers so she will have a choice.
This is the layout for 2 of the flowers I made. I wanted to try 2 different methods of making them. One is felted as separate pieces and finished like this:
The second set where started the same but then they were stacked with a resist between.
I did put some plastic in as well . I was worried the felt would flatten out over the edges of the resist and stick together. My plan was to have the flower layers all nicely felted together in the middle. It did not work that way. The floor underlay was to thick to let the middles stick together properly. I should have gone with thin plastic wrap for the resist.
I needled them together part way through so in the end they look like this:
I also made pieces for a bright sunny orange flower.
And a different style of flower . I forgot to take a picture before felting. I made 6 petals that were shaped like a double pointed leaves. I did them separately so I could get them all the same size. I then put them together and made sure there was enough wool overlapping so that there would be no holes. I added orange silk to make stripes on the petals and yellow in the middle to decorate it. I also added some green on the bottom.
This shot shows you the depth of the flower.
I need to make the middles for the round layered flowers and I am gong to try to make some stamen for the petaled flower. That will be my daily dose of fiber tomorrow. I will take some pictures of them finished and show you them and the hats the next time it”s my turn to Blog.