Landscapes and Knitting

Ruth did a post a few days ago about a landscape tutorial on the Start2 website. I hadn’t come across that tutorial before and thought Ruth’s paintings were brilliant, so having been stuck in a recliner for a week and half with flu, I was itching to do something creative so gave it a go. I had some thick but cheap sketchbook paper and also a variety of printer paper samples to try it on. This first one is the sketchbook paper:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this is the textured printer paper sample:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThey need flattening and cropping. I was disappointed they weren’t as nice as Ruth’s, but if I’d seen them before Ruth’s I’m sure I’d have been more impressed πŸ™‚ I wish I had the artistic skills to add to them to improve them. I’m at least going to look for a white gel pen.

Start2 is the online resource for Start, an arts for good health centre. I did a couple of courses there in the last few months, and just a few weeks ago started going to a knitting group there too. I’d only really done knit stitch until I started going, apart from one row of purl I’d tried and wasn’t sure I’d done right. We had a pattern for making a small camera or phone pouch, but of course I had the wrong sized needles and yarn, so I’m making mine a bit bigger. I started with knit stitch then tried alternating knit and purl rows. I’d only done a few when I got confused doing purl and was wrapping the yarn around the wrong way so went back to knit then tried again. Once I got more confident on week 2, I added in another colour, well 2 really because I had blue aran yarn and had to double up some 4 ply.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThere’s a speckled beige colour which reminds me of Hob-Nob biscuits and a bluey grey, I think they work well together:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERABeing ill was a good time to practise my knitting. I thought I’d make a knitting needle holder. I used white aran and doubled up some blue 4 ply:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt wants to curl up so I pinned it down. I like this angle:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI even made holes for a drawstring:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI’m not sure what I’ll do for the bottom, I did try to make a square, but it didn’t seem right so I’ll wait till the next knitting group to decide. And I still haven’t learned to sew seams, so that’s next on the list πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Landscapes and Knitting

Glad you’re feeling better. and well done with the knitting. You’ll be doing multi-coloured fairisle before long. πŸ™‚

Thanks, Judith πŸ™‚
      I’m just starting to feel more ‘normal’. I did need a two hour nap after doing the landscapes, too much too soon, I think! My aim for knitting is to make myself a fair isle jumper, or at least a tank top! πŸ™‚

Zed, the landscapes look exactly like mine do before I add the details. All I did was add some colored pencil lines across the tops of the mountains and then fill in as necessary to create the tops of the mountains. Then I added some shadows to give the mountains more depth. I used either black/grey paint or a color opposite the mountain color (for neutral result) on the color wheel. Then I added some grass or whatever in the foreground. Keep going, I’m sure you can add some details without any problem.

The knitting looks great. Looks like you are learning a lot from your group.

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      I think I did mine too literally too with doing it in thirds, a bit more irregular would have looked better, I think. I’ll keep an eye out for decent pencils to try adding detail, but I’m not sure I have the eye for it!

3. MCH says:

Like what you’ve done wish I could knit like that. But it’s not one of my favourite crafts.

However Have you tried using felting wool you can knit with and then felt? I was looking for a particular type of background sky and grass to felt a rabbit onto. So in the end I Googled knitting felting wool and got some of Amazon. I’ll find a picture and post it for you to see. Had a great time.

4. Lovely. I do hope you are soon feeling back to normal 😦

Your knitting is fab! The knitting group is obviously successful because a little while ago you were bemoaning the fact that you couldn’t knit. Not true now though eh?

I like your landscapes very much!

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I have to give credit to bamboo needles too, I think they make all the difference.

Zed, you got some great results with both the painting and knitting. I take my hat off to you for staying busy while you’re ill. I just lose all my energy. I look forward to seeing the finished project.s Glad you’re feeling better!

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      I would say I stayed busy, I’ve been sat in the same recliner for almost 2 weeks solid-apart from the hours spent in the bath because the aches were so unbearable! I’m still not sure I’ll make it through the wet felting class tomorrow, my legs feel as weak as Jay-Z’s look!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Good luck tomorrow. Your health is more important than a class that can be rescheduled, Be well!

7. Karen Lane says:

If you’ve not been knitting for long your doing a great job! I agree re the bamboo needles. I got some just before Christmas and they are much nicer to knit with than the old ones were. Look forward to seeing the fair isle jumper when you get it done.

Thanks, Karen πŸ™‚
      I might try a fair isle hat first, I’m daunted by the needles for knitting in the round!

8. I think you should be proud of your work on both. I don’t have the patience for learning to knit properly. I was very happy when I found felting. I love fancy yarns and fiber but had no desire to knit.

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      I wanted to learn to incorporate it into felting. I thought my chunky needles would be big enough to make something holey to use, but I didn’t realise how thin the yarn needed to be for that. Now I want to spin properly to make fancy yarns to knit and weave and felt!

• I love spinning on my spindle

• MCH says:

Knitting with knitting felting wool is great, and I love how you can add other wools to the knitting felting wools.

Woohoo, you’re knitting! Very impressed with your progress, Zed πŸ˜€ What you managed to make in a short period of time (with the flu!) is nothing less than impressive. Looking forward to seeing that fair-isle jumper soon πŸ˜‰