Ooops!

We’ve talked a lot lately on the forum about projects not turning out as planned.  Sometimes we have happy accidents like my scarflette that turned out better than I had planned.  However, that’s not always the case.  That’s why we all have UFOs.

Last year I decided to design a credit card wallet. I spent a lot of time measuring and making resists and batts, cutting prefelt and designing a master pattern complete with shrinkage built in.  I wanted it to be functional enough to be able to put most of the things I use in one place.

20150429_161653 20150428_113623 20150429_163547I didn’t have a wallet to use as a model, so I winged it.  I used the prefelt as the base and began adding resists then the batts on the inside.  To keep track of where my folds and placements were I used pieces of threads to help keep everything in line.

On the inside I wanted three long pockets, then eight credit card slots. There is one resist under the red batt.

20150430_154427Then I added the second lower pocket offset about a half inch, and began putting the credit card slot resists in.

20150501_151307

20150501_152541Once I finished adding the slots, I turned it over and added resists on the front. I wanted a license holder and a pocket.

20150501_160550Then after covering in black merino and decorating with some red silk throwsters waste, I began the felting and fulling process.

The hardest part and one of my big mistakes was cutting out the resists. I decided to use an Exacto knife to cut the top large opening.  Guess what?  Yes, that’s a pen sticking thru.  I couldn’t figure out how to take a pic with my finger thru it.

The lower hole is where I wanted the pic ID to be.  Unfortunately, it wasn’t large enough to put in the whole ID and cut out a window to view it.

20160226_12570820160226_125521

The pocket on the front was also too small an opening to put anything in there that wouldn’t fall out.

20160226_125849

On the inside the larger pockets were functional, but I made a mistake with the credit card pocket by making each row a little deeper.  Duh, what was I thinking?  All credit cards are the same size!

20160226_125616

There was room for cash and a checkbook and coupons, if need be.  However, the credit cards were a disaster.  I couldn’t reliably put them in there and think they’d stay put.

20160226_125503Folded over it doesn’t look bad on the front.

20160226_125843 The back is a different story.

20160226_125849

I had considered trying to save it, but I don’t believe it would be worth the time since many of the proportions are off and there a gaping holes. However, I did learn a lot from the experience.

• Try not to make the project too complicated
  • Use a model for size proportions
  • Never use an Exacto knife to cut out a resist

I hope this may help others when they are planning a big project in the future. 🙂

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Ooops!

1. Cami Homann says:

Since I am a beginner, it was very informative to know about using an exacting knife. Since I would have thought it would have been useful. Live & learn. Thank you for writing about your experiences with Felting.

I take my hat off to you – I am not brave enough to even attempt such a complicated design!

I think you did well to achieve as much as you did, and as you say, it was an experience from which to learn a lot.

If I had to make a felt wallet, I think I’d make nuno felt yardage (so it’s thin like regular fabric but strong) then cut and sew!

Thanks Lyn! I wish I had thought of the Nuno. 🙂 I like to challenge myself. So, I expect there will be projects that don’t work out quite the way I expect them to.

I think with such a complicated design that you did a good job. Lyn’s idea of nuno felt yardage is a good one. I do know that there are a lot of free patterns for sewn wallets on the web. But it sounds like a good learning experience 🙂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ruth! It was a good experience. I may try Lyn’s idea. I have seen patterns for sewn ones. Or maybe il get brave enough to try again only not make it so complicated. 🙂

5. Teri Berry says:

It was a great idea Marilyn and good learning experience, thank you for sharing. The throwsters pattern is beautiful.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Teri! I do love the throwsters waste embellishment. Got to have a little bling. 🙂

6. I think you did pretty well it is never easy with something so complicated. I don’t think I would have tried. I will jump on the band wagon and bang the cut and sew drum.

7. dwrasebon says:

I love your design.

Oh no, Marilyn! What did you do to the finished object now you’ve decided it’s not funcional? I always feel so bad when a project goes bad, I just want to turn the wool into something useful…

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Well, it’s sitting in a pile of scrap materials. I will probably cut it up and use it for something else. I also hate wasting the materials, but sometimes things just don’t work out.