Wet felted Hat Class.

I taught a wet felted hat class last week end. I ended up with four students. One unfortunately had to drop out at the last min.

I let students pick the style of hat they want to make.  Two students licked a pixy style to keep warm while having fun outside.

1 laying out wool 2 laying our wool

A hat with no brim and folds and one that will be a fedora style.

3 laying out 4 laying out

Everyone one want some like on their hats. Two chose to use silk caps to cover the whole hat.  The blue hat has silk that had lots of contrast but as it gets wet is seems to disappear.

7 silk hanky 6 silk hanky

One person wanted flowers under the silk cap. They are made by twisting a silk hanky.

5 silk flowers

The fedora will have wisps of silk top.

8 silk wisps

And then we got busy felting and talking and I forgot to take pictures, sorry. I almost forgot to get a picture of them all done. The green one will continue to be worked on. She isn’t sure how she is going to treat he brim. Probably she will roll it to get it to the depth she wants. The fedora will get its brim trimmed and shaped as well.

9 finnished hats

Jans hat Here is one finished. Excuse the Photo. I took it from a facebook message. She took it for me late last night.

Hear is the other pixy hat. You can really see the silk  now.

linas hat

This entry was posted in Classes, Design, Felted Hats, Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Wet felted Hat Class.

1. Marian Mills says:

Some great looking hats there! Did you have them take measurements of their own head to create each resist individually? That’s the bit I always seem to have difficulty with!

2. Thank you . No I do not have them measure, I find the hats can always be fulled a little smaller or a little larger with out any trouble. I only adjust them if someone has a particular small or large head. To make a resist that fits measure your head then half it. Now add the percentage of shrinkage for the wool you are using. That is how big your resist needs to be.

3. Willi says:

It was a fabulous class!

4. Teri Berry says:

Looks like you all had heaps of fun and came away with some fab hats!

Great looking hats and the broad smiles speak for themselves!

It looks like everyone enjoyed themselves and liked what they made 🙂

7. I think they had fun and are happy with their hats. I was told it was a lot more work than a nuno scarf.

The hats all turned out well, and it does look like your students had some fun. But yes, anything large with a resist means a lot of elbow grease!

Looks like a great class Ann! Hats are always fun and they each turn out differently even if using the same resist.

Fun hats! It looks like everyone had a good time!

11. Nancy Erhardt says:

Hi there. Do you remember me, or more importantly, my hat? 😊 I’m the one with the purple fedora in your link attached. I want to finally finish the hat by adding some trim to the brim to even it out. You had mentioned something that you thought would work well. (needle felting) Something fuzzy?? in the same color?? You had something in mind that day and I should have written it down cause that’s all I remember. If you don’t recall what that was, and have any other suggestions for me, I would appreciate it very much. (I love my hat. That was a fun day.) Thanks so much!

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 1:50 AM, feltingandfiberstudio wrote:

> shepherdessann posted: “I taught a wet felted hat class last week end. I > ended up with four students. One unfortunately had to drop out at the last > min. I let students pick the style of hat they want to make. Two students > licked a pixy style to keep warm while having fun out” >