Felt over Wire

A couple of years ago while thrift store shopping, I came across a cute little wire baby buggy.  I set it aside hoping for a reason to use it.

2015-03-09 15.48.48It is 5″H x 5″ L x 2.5″ W  (12.7 cm x 12.7 cm x 6.35 cm).

I made a resist with a 30% shrinkage rate added two layers of merino per side which I thought would be a nice thickness to cover the wire.

Her is the outside layer done and stretched over the form to dry.

2015-03-09 15.52.54There seemed to be plenty of extra felt around so I could turn it inside except for the very front of the buggy top.

I made the second layer  and inserted it inside.

2015-03-23 15.02.18That was a little tricky since it was a tight fit for my fingers so I used my trusty scoop and crochet hooks to get it in position.

It was a tight fit and there wasn’t enough felt to overlap the front of the buggy top.  I had planned to do a blanket stitch to join them but the cluster of wires on the top made it impossible to do that.

I wrapped the front with some roving I rolled into a rope, then basted the stitches together, but I didn’t like the way that looked. 2015-03-27 15.57.55

So I glued the layers together both on the top and sides then pulled out the basting.  Not a great plan either since I burned my fingers with the glue gun even though I was using a cuticle stick to push into place.  If I had more pink roving, I would have made a resist using more over the buggy top and perhaps made a double resist for inside and out in one piece. But I had to work with what I had.

For the inside, I placed a piece of cotton batting on the wire as a mattress.  Then I proceeded to wrap the wheels with white yarn and stitch on some lace around the bottom and top of the buggy.

top view   front view

side 2side view

I still have to clean it up a bit then I’ll send it off to my daughter in law for the baby’s room.  I thought it would be useful to store qtips or scissors, thermometer, etc. on her dresser.

Have you ever used a wire structure with felt?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Felt over Wire

Fiddly but very worth it! It’s unique too. I’m sure it will have pride of place in the nursery.

I tried wet felting over wire (and that’s a technique that would need working on – first attempt wasn’t brilliant) but I have some modelling mesh that needs playing with in the same way as the pram i.e. felt first and then join …if only I had more hours.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! Yes, fiddly is a good word for it. I thought about wet felting over the wire for about two seconds.

Well, if you find the hours to work on the mesh I look forward to seeing it!

Such a sweet little pram and useful too. 🙂
    I’ve made several lampshades felted onto wire frames, but these weren’t so nearly intricate as your pram project. Only last night I made some sketches for a snowdrop lamp, on a wire armature. We’ll see if that comes to fruition.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Judith! A lampshade is on my list of things to do as well. A snowdrop lampshade, I’m sure I’ve seen one but didn’t know what it was called. I hope you do finish it and show us on the forum or write a blog for us here. Good luck!

3. Mary Stori says:

Fabulously fun, inventive, and an adorable gift for your DIL! Thanks for sharing this idea….

I also made a lampshade covering a wire ring, but that is no comparison to the time you put in on the baby buggy. It turned out well and will become an heirloom for your grandchild. A very sweet gift!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Cathy! I remember your lampshade. I have that on my list as well. I’m sure it will be a lot less challenging than the buggy, at least I hope so. 😄

Really cute buggy and I agree with Lyn, it looks fiddly.

I felted an umbrella and made it into a tree. It wasn’t as small though and was fairly easy to felt over the umbrella parts. The part nearest the handle where the ribs attach was the trickiest. I just wrapped wool around and then used my hands to wet felt it down.

Thanks Ruth! It’s not a project I’d attempt again. :-). I remember your umbrella tree. I can imagine those spokes would be a real challenge.

It might have been fiddly, Marilyn, but it turned out well in the end. Nice to get a unique gift too 🙂

8. Frances says:

That is so clever and cute – my idea file keeps growing

9. Terriea says:

That’s so cute and sweet little thing!

10. You have more patience then me. You did a great job. I am sure they will be delighted with it.