Making Mini Birdhouses.

I got an order for some mine birdhouses for decorations.

I laid out 3 at a time, I get both sides ready then put the resist in.

mini birdhouse layout

Once they are wet I add the decorations

pink mini birdhouse redy to felt pink and green ready to felt

The green dots were cut out of a piece of homemade prefelt. The pink stripe is just a long strip of top.

Here I used a piece of felt that was cut off something else before I started the shrinking. I have I bin of off cuts. This one was quite thick so I spit it then cut it up for the decoration.

docorating minibird house blue decorations

Here is a shot after felting. It shows the size and the shrinkage. The picture on the right  is  with a balloon in so it will dry in the right shape.

mini birdhouse size min birdhouse with balloon

They are getting there strings right now. If I can get them done and get a pictures of them I will edit it in. Otherwise you will have to wait for my next blog post.

This entry was posted in Design, Prefelt, Uncategorized, Wet Felting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Making Mini Birdhouses.

Great looking bird houses, Ann! Were they meant for real birds, or just as decoration? I’m wondering because of their size and also, whether the material would be impermeable enough for strong days of rain…

Did you make your own resist, or did you purchase one for it specifically? Resists are, believe it or not, the most fascinating thing about wet felting for me 🙂

Cool bird pods Ann – I’m sure their new owner will appreciate them 🙂

The bird houses are really cute Ann. I haven’t used a balloon for shaping yet, but it’s a good idea.

Cute idea – are they going to hang individually or be strung up like a mobile?

5. momgertner says:

This sentence did not make sense to me : Here I used a piece of felt that was cut off something else before I started the shrinking. I have I bin of off cuts.

• sorry I didn’t mean to be confusing. When I cut the bottom or a hat to get the resist out I save the felt piece. when I do the cutting it is before I have started tosh shrink or full the hat. Its felted a little more then prefelt but not as much as finished felt.

I wish I liked using resists more, I love birdhouses, and these are really nice, Ann 🙂