Ingeo

I haven’t had chance to get my felting stuff out for ages, so I’ve been working on my epic ‘Other fibres project’, which originally was going to be a simple e-book guide to embellishment fibres, but has turned into something of a 7 year journey to try every fibre with every breed of wool and animal fibre I can get my hands on, as it constantly gets shoved aside for other things. Looking through some of my samples, I found a couple of pieces using Ingeo. I like Ingeo fibre. All embellishment fibres have something which sets them apart from others, and for Ingeo, I think it’s the way it looks soft and fluffy, and slightly matt. Although it isn’t particularly shiny, but it does have a sheen.  This first piece is natural grey Merino.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAYou can see on this closer pic how it pulls together where it’s laid out thicker:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAGetting in closer, you can see the Merino migration through the Ingeo, and though the Ingeo is thick, it is still smooth:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis close up of the bottom shows what it looks like when it is sparser.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWhen I used Ingeo on this piece with dark grey Icelandic, I didn’t lay it so thickly:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI like the way it looks so different with the Icelandic, where it’s sparse it even looks a different colour.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThere’s a lot more migration with the coarser Icelandic:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAYou can see on this close up where the Ingeo is quite dense, it pulls together in a similar way to on the Merino, but isn’t quite as smooth:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERADo you have a favourite embellishment fibre or animal fibre and embellishment fibre combination?

This entry was posted in Other Fibers and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Ingeo

Your ‘other fibres’ project does sound more like a life’s work than an e-book! But it’s good to have something you can get your teeth into.

I’d never heard of ingeo. Looking at your pictures I just presumed it was like a silk or something but was surprised to discover that it can be made into industrial plastic that’s fairly eco-friendly.

My favourite embellishment of all time is from the fabric (scarves) I’ve bought from charity shops – an almost invisible netting with thin slubby strands of coloured cotton running through it (I’ve used it, nuno style, to make sea and sky backgrounds).

Heh, it does seem more like that at times! The thing is, I’ve had all the control samples made for 2 or 3 years (at least 2 cameras ago anyway!) but every time I start the writing part again, something else comes up.
      I like those scarves you got, I love the ripple effect they produce, I keep an eye out for anything similar 🙂

I’d never heard of Ingeo before, Zed. Is it animal, plant, or artificial? It seems great to grab animal fibres!

Great samples zed. The ingeo gives a nice effect. Good luck with your project, as Lyn says it’s more like a life’s work. 🙂

Love the effect of the ingeo and I agree with Judith and Lyn about being a life’s work. Especially since they keep inventing new stuff 🙂

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      I decided a while ago when I saw Rose fibre I had to have a cut off point so didn’t rush out to get it. I’d read something about Seacell being like something else too, and there’s only so much difference between regenerated cellulose fibres. I did add kapok though when I got that 🙂

• ruthlane says:

I have some seacell – I liked it. 🙂

What great fun to have an all-consuming project with fibers, whether animal or plant–or both! The rich textures of the ingeo are quite dramatic.

Thanks, Cathy 🙂
      It’s fun making the stuff but trying to come up with new ways to describe observations about shiny silvery fibres isn’t easy! Even when they are very different side by side.

6. zararooke says:

I had never heard of ingeo either – had to google it. I guess I will have to buy your epic book when it comes out. 🙂

7. Great samples Zed its great that you do the work for us. I haven’t used it on felt. I tried spinning it once and it was horrible. There was a small bag that made its way around the guild. People would try it hate it and pass it on . I think it would have been better blended