More distaff day

Last time I showed you what I did at distaff day.  https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2014/06/03/distaff-day/ I thought I would show you some of the other classes that were going on.

needlfelting class Needle felting class

sock knitting Sock knitting class

weaving a bag over a card. Weaving a little bag over a peace of card

inkle weaving Inkle weaving with wire added  for manipulating

kumihimo Kumihimo, Japanese  braiding. here they are using marudai to do the braiding but you can do it with a piece of cardboard with slits cut into the edge.

beret on a card loom Weaving a beret on a card with holes punched in it.

rug hooking with roving rug hooking with roving finished          Rug hooking with roving. This is done with a hook  similar to a crochet hook and thin roving. I had only ever seen it done with woven wool strips.

This rug hooking really interests me. It looks like a great project to carry with you when you travel. Have you seen a new to you  fiber craft you want to learn?

This entry was posted in Fairs and Shows, Needle Felting, Teaching, Weaving, Wool and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to More distaff day

1. Laura says:

I do a lot of rug hooking, and use roving and wool yarns along with the usual wool strips.

I would have liked to take part in ALL of the classes!

• It was hard to pick a class when we signed up. I have done basic kumihimo on cardboard, and taken an inkle weaving class. It’s really fast to put a warp on and fast to weave up.

They all look interesting! I’d give anything a go if there were easily accessible classes near here.

• It is the cheapest workshops around. Our guild is pretty cheep. most classes are $55.00. It was out of town (about and hour and a half drive) but we do carpooling for those that can’t drive or don’t have a car.

4. Pam Ladds says:

Love to learn more about the rug hooking with roving

They all look like fun! I’m intrigued with the Kumihimo braiding. I do need to find something to do while traveling.

• There are kits on amazon and chapters that use a piece of foam. I did them for the cubs with card board years ago. I will see if I can figure out how many slits you need.

It’s fun to see all of the different fiber crafts being demonstrated. The rug hooking with roving looks intriguing, but a bit small for a rug?

• It is nice that there are different fiber arts and it isn’t all weaving or spinning. It was a sample I think you are supposed to make a bag or frame it.

It would have been hard to choose a class. I really don’t need to learn anything else new. I have enough on my list of things to do without adding more techniques 🙂 But it looks like it was a great day.

8. I know what you mean. I keep looking at the basket weaving class the guild offers but know I do not need to learn something new and I have enough baskets.

9. Where can I find info on how to weave a beret using card? I would love to experiment with weaving more. This sounds really interesting to me!

• I will see if the lady doing the class will tell me where she got it.

• The instructions for the beret on a card comes forma book Weave handmade style. It was by Murdoch Books. I imagine it is out of print. Maybe the library has it. I did a search on google and didn’t find instructions for it. the one she did you do both sides of the beret on the cardboard all at once. The only thing you have to knit is the little brim.

Looks like a wonderfulday. I’d have had great difficulty in choosing which class to take.

11. It really is a great day for everyone.