Challenge Piece Plus Gold Leaf

I showed my “finished” challenge piece here several weeks ago. But after I had lived with it for a while, I decided it needed something more. If you follow my personal blog or are a member of the forum, you’ll have seen part of this before.

MINOLTA DIGITAL CAMERA

This is how the piece looked when I last posted it. It just needed a better focal area/point.

Mock Up with Gold

So I decided I wanted to try adding gold leaf. Before I went ahead and put it on, I thought I would try putting the photo into Photoshop and add some gold to see if I liked it. I took another photo of a trial bit of gold leaf added to felt and then manipulated that in Photoshop into a “stamp”. I then added that “stamp” over the original photo in several places. I fooled around with layers until I got it to resemble gold leafing. So then I polled everyone who reads my blog and on the forum. Most thought the gold was a good addition. Some thought that there should be less gold than pictured above. I agreed with that assessment.

Gel Medium Added

This is a poor photo but can you see the white? That is gel medium applied to the felt through a screen print. It is nice that you can see it when it is applied because after it dries, it practically disappears. After drying, gold leaf can be applied.

Gold Leaf Applied

And here is my challenge piece with gold leaf added. What do you think? I really like it. It looks better in person as the photo doesn’t really do it justice. It is hard to take good photos of fiber but then adding the gold leaf added a whole different dimension to the photo taking process – reflective, shiny stuff.

Another Close Up

I really like how it turned out. The contrast of the gold leaf to the matte surface of the wool is amazing.

Closer View

So now I still have to come up with a name. Nothing has come to me yet. Any suggestions? I also think that I will mount this one on a canvas so it looks more like a painting.

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Challenge Piece Plus Gold Leaf

1. I think you should call your unique technique “GILT FELT”! 🙂

2. kwinter12 says:

Stunning! I have similar reflection problems when taking photos of silk – although it’s not as shiny as gold. 😉 Hope hubby likes it now!

The gold leaf has really brought it to life! Great textural contrasts too. 🙂

4. chrysartglass says:

I would never have thought of combining gold leaf with felt Wow very inspiring.

It’s now complete and wonderful and very deserving of wall space. I bet it looks fabulous in ‘real life’. I hope you enjoy it.

Silver and gold are extremely difficult to photograph. I tried to photograph a piece of felt on silver mount board and it looked awful – the camera just saw the nice shiny silver as dark grey. Any adjustments I made to get the silver to look better weren’t any good for the felt!

6. Josephine says:

I like this. It reminds me of “rain on a windowpane”

7. I really like this Ruth. the gold leaf has given it so much depth, a very 3D effect, the gold is hovering above and they you look into the rest like layers that are not touching each other. Makes me think of memory back through time.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Ann – I like how it turned out too. Hmmm… I’ll have to think on the “memory back through time” and see if that gives me an idea for a title.

This turned out well, Ruth! Much more subtle than the previous photo effect you showed us.
    I never had realized that you could apply matte paint to fiber…it must be even more striking in real life…photography IS difficult for felt art, very difficult to capture the true texture. Will you cover the canvas completely with your fiber or allow some of it to show (as you demonstrated in your recent Finishing Blog?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Cathy – Yes – I knew it would be much more subtle than the mock up. It’s a little hard to get Photoshop to give you exactly what you want.

I will probably paint the canvas and it will be 1-2″ bigger all the way around like a matte board. But I don’t have the canvas yet so I’m not sure.

9. I think it looks like Chinese Red Lanterns, floating upward. Beautiful. Reminds me of a painting I once saw.

10. Irene Freitas says:

When I saw your work without the gold leaf it made me think about a galaxy and now the golden drops look like rain, what about calling it simply “golden fantasy”?In a canvas for sure it will look like a painting and a beautiful one.Good and surprising idea the gold leaf.

I did like the mock up, but I like what you really did with it, I bet it looks far better in real life though 🙂

12. I like how it turned out Ruth. I would love to see it; do you have it at the store?

It looks much more subtle than in the mock up. Just the right amount of glitz like gold rain.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Marilyn – yes, the mock up wasn’t as subtle as what I wanted so I toned it down considerably for the real piece.

14. Pingback: Determining the Best Value for Matting or Framing | feltingandfiberstudio