2014 2nd Quarter Challenge

At the beginning of last month, Ann posted her 2nd Quarter Studio Challenge, the work of artist Stewart Stephenson. His work is very diverse, and I must admit I prefer his more abstract works, maybe because they are similar in style to my own oils and acrylics. I played it ‘safe’ with the first piece I made for this challenge, using one of his ‘sass’ flower paintings: Sassy Wildflowers:

sassy wildflowersI drew myself a little sketch, marked down which colours to use where, then laid out the wool. I did a similar thing for both pieces and the colours were quite a bit off! This is before felting:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this is what it looked like after felting:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe other Stewart Stephenson pieces I quite like are his mixed media ‘line’ pieces. I’m not sure which mediums are used, some look to be just paint, some seem to be digital images or at least digitally altered. They all seem to be based on the idea of having a centre and working out from there. The one I mostly used for reference was ‘Line Up Now’.

lineup nowAgain, my colours were a bit off, and also his works don’t appear to be mirror images, but I liked the idea of that, so that’s how I did mine. This is a close up of one part before felting:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAMy girlfriend suggested I use some very dark blues and black on it, to give it more depth, so just before felting, I added those colours. This is what it looked like after felting.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI really like the way both pieces came out. I made them of a size big enough to make notebook covers, but I think they’ll stay as they are πŸ™‚ We’ll be adding the entries to the Challenge Galleries, so if you’d like to be included just let us know. We also have a post on the forum where you can see other entries too.

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to 2014 2nd Quarter Challenge

I am still amazed with all the things one can do with the wet felting technique… great job, Zed!

I like them both equally – lovely pieces! Too good to cut up for covers Zed – they are wall art.

I like ‘stripey’ against the dark background – it’s the perfect match, but I’m wondering if ‘flowers’ might look better against a pale background?

3. They are both great Zed. Like the flowers best today. Might be different tomorrow. πŸ™‚ I agree with Lyn a lighter background for the flowers would be better.

Zed, they both look terrific. I’m more of an abstract person, too, but find something intriguing about his flowers. I agree with Lyn the stripy one should be a wall hanging.

These are both very well done. I like the stripey one best. I finished my challenge piece and will post it on Thursday.

6. colormusing says:

I love the concept of these challenges! And I really admire your felted interpretations. Although I don’t do felting myself, I’m thinking I could be inspired by these same works of art, translating the color palettes into my line of yarns (both hand-tied color sequences and hand-painted skeins). Your work is gorgeous and inspiring!

Thanks a lot πŸ™‚
      That’s a brilliant idea using the challenge for yarns! All fibrey mediums are welcome in the challenge, if you do it, please show us, I’d love to see that πŸ™‚

Both pieces are stunning and absolutely should NOT be cut up! I normally lean towards the abstract (#2) but those flowers (#1) are growing on me…(pun intended).

8. Both have good color and quality. I just think I am partial to flowers, so I like that best. Good job.

9. Pingback: Trying Commercial Prefelt | feltingandfiberstudio