Yurt Update – The Light at the End of the Tunnel

We are still working feverishly to get the yurt finished before winter sets in. Luckily, we had a nice weekend and we were able to felt the third roof piece this past weekend. The weekend before was cold and rainy but we did get started on putting the walls together.

Wall Laid Out We laid out all the pieces and lined them up.

Stringing the WallThen we started threading cord through each hole.

Before TyingHere you can see them threaded. The two on the right are tied. This is one of the walls that will be next to the door. You can tell that because of the 45 degree angle cut on the ends that will be up against the door.

Placing A RodIt took a bit to figure out the best way to get everything lined up and thread the holes. It worked best to have the single bottom layer of rods, put all the threads through and then add the top rods one at a time threading as you go. Then we tied all the knots once all the cords were threaded through.

Knots TiedHere’s one all tied up.

Standing WallAnd miraculously, it is standing all by itself!

Wall ClosedYou can fold it right up for moving/storage.

Wall Open - Middle Section

Here’s the second one we did. It is a middle panel. We ended up finishing three wall panels. We’ve got one more to put together.

Muddy FelterSo don’t let anyone tell you that felting is a clean activity. This is what I looked like after we felted on Sunday. That’s the third ceiling panel rolled up on the PVC pipe. I am happy that we are getting close to finished. I hope that we’ll have our “yurt raising” party in two weeks as long as the weather holds. Keep your fingers crossed!

This entry was posted in Yurt and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Yurt Update – The Light at the End of the Tunnel

1. Marilyn Nelson says:

Great job, it looks terrific. It amazing how much you’ve gotten done. I love the orange. Happy finishing! You deserve a big party to celebrate. 🙂

Unbelievable amount of fiddly work with the trellis! In the last photo you look like a kid who’s been out to play all day in the muddy woods.

3. Wow, what a job. But it looks like it is almost “mission accomplished time.”

4. It is so nice when you do something and it works just the way its supposed to. You are never to old to play in the mud.

• ruthlane says:

That is so true Ann. I was so pleased that the walls worked nicely. You just aren’t sure until you’ve tried it yourself even though the book assures you that it will work. I might have enjoyed the mud more if it hadn’t of gotten so cold. 🙂

5. What a creation!Looking forward to seeing it all set up.
    Amanda

6. Karen says:

Oh how exciting Ruth and don’t you look beautiful all covered in mud lol not long now and you’ll be having that yurt party 🙂

I love that photo of you at the end, Ruth! The panels look great, really professional, I like the colours too 🙂

8. Andi says:

I like to know how much did the wood cost I live in Toronto I don’t know where to fiend same that wood

• ruthlane says:

Hi Andi – here is the post where I explained what we bought in regards to wood. https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2013/06/20/yurt-beginnings/

That was three years ago so I am sure the price has changed. We bought these at a home supply store, I believe it was Home Depot. You should check at a lumber yard. I checked the price and here in the US it is currently $1.52 per board. That’s about $250. You can probably get a better deal when you buy in bulk.

There is also a link to the book in the post above that we used for instructions. I would highly recommend buying the book so you can follow along. We wouldn’t have been able to figure it out without the book. Good luck!