Fourth Quarter Studio Challenge

I’ve spent the past couple of weeks trying to think of a theme for the last Studio Challenge of the year. I still hadn’t decided last night when my girlfriend suggested ‘Monochrome’. I loved this idea because being restricted can really challenge you to think, but then I remembered that some of us had done a monochrome challenge a few years ago, it might even have been a challenge of Ruth’s. So after a bit more thinking … about maybe one particular colour for a monochrome challenge or maybe a section of the colour wheel, I started thinking about shades of burgundy, red, orange and yellow and thought ‘Autumn!’. I know for some of us, it’s only just started, and for some of us (yes, Kaz!) it’s been and gone, however you feel about it, it always has interesting things to offer in terms of colours and the life cycles of plants.

So the Challenge is, to make something (or as many things as you like) using felt, fabrics and/or fibres in whichever medium you like, with the theme of Autumn. Maybe an autumn sunset will inspire you:

Autumn (6)Autumn (5)Maybe the leaves on the trees turning citrusy yellows and greens, or the crunch of the dried brown leaves underfoot are what you think of for ‘Autumn’.

Autumn (1)Maybe you’re influenced by the gorgeous reds, oranges and yellows making trees a blaze of colour.

Autumn (2)Maybe Autumn makes you think of hibernation, damp and decay?

Autumn (3)Or maybe the leaves or plants themselves will become part of the piece?

Autumn (4)Have fun and don’t forget to share photos of your work with us if you join in the challenge πŸ™‚Β  You can add photos to the Studio Site Flickr Group, tag your photos “4th Quarter Challenge 2013 Autumn”. You can also post a link to your blog or website in the comments on any of the Challenge blog posts, and we’d be happy to include your work in the Challenge Gallery. If you’d like to write a post about it, just use the form on the Contact Us page πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Fourth Quarter Studio Challenge

I’m in ! Love the autumn colours.

2. Marilyn Nelson says:

Perfect timing, we’re just beginning to see colors in the Midwest. It is a beautiful time of year and great colors. Thanks for the beautiful pics for inspiration.

3. Nikki Perry says:

Can any one join in?

4. koffipotk says:

Nice one zed! I love the beautiful, warm shades of autumn and still enjoy shuffling through those lovely crunchy leaves! Being out and about with my grandchildren gives me a great opportunity to do this without looking completely ‘gaga’! πŸ™‚

5. I love fall colours. I am sure this will be an easy one for me.

Perfect – I just did all the natural dyeing with leaves so I have a head start. Just have to wait to see how the eco-prints turned out. Perhaps I’ll be able to use one of those.

I was just looking at that, the wool thread looks gorgeous πŸ™‚ I’ll look forward to seeing the prints.

7. Teri Berry says:

What a great challenge Zed, although I have to confess all the lovely colours are more inspiring than challenging πŸ™‚ I posted my efforts here: http://teriberrycreations.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/fourth-quarter-challenge.html
    It was a lot of fun – thank you πŸ™‚

Thanks for joining in Teri πŸ™‚ It’s gorgeous! You can always do another piece if you want to challenge yourself more πŸ™‚

8. Pingback: Fourth Quarter Studio Challenge | feltingandfiberstudio