Nylon

Part One: Crimped Nylon

I hadn’t used Nylon fibres in felting until I bought a few different types earlier last year. Recently, I’ve been playing around with them again. Nylon was developed as an alternative to silk and can be dyed with acid dyes the same way as wool or silk, so when I dyed some silk throwster’s waste recently, I also dyed some nylon. I’d only dyedΒ the nylon in red, yellow and blue, so I stuck to using just red, yellow and blue merino aswell.

I layed out a couple of layers of the merino, then I blended different amounts of the nylon and merino colours to give more shades. It felt very fluffy to lay out, and I expected it to be spongy like the plastic fibre or at least be thick, but it wasn’t, and it felted really nicely, and feels very soft. There’s a shininess and ‘synthetic’ look to it if you tilt it in the light, it’s not obvious enough in this piece for the camera to pick it up though. It’s a nice fibre to work with, and the crimped parts can be used to good effect.

Here are some photos of the finished felted piece, and the lay out before felting. If you use nylon fibres in any kind of fibre arts/crafts, I’d love to see the results πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Other Fibers, Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Nylon

Love the color blends you achieved!

2. Karen says:

The colors are cool zed, i love the way you lay out fibres, so straight and perfect πŸ™‚

I was thinking the same thing Karen – how does she get those fibers so straight??

Thanks πŸ™‚
      I use a paper template under the netting, then take ages laying the fibres out. It’s not so bad when I’m using a blend, but wool tops always want to splay out at the ends, so I run my fingers down them to straighten.

4. shepherdessann says:

Looks like it felted down really well. I will have to do some samples too.

5. shepherdessann says:

Templates are very helpful. I use them for ruffle scarves and I have a large oval one for making a simple vest.

I had a huge one for my merino and milk scarf, then forgot to move it before I started wetting down!
      I have a stack of them all different sizes, they’re supposed to stop me doing huge pieces when I just want a sample πŸ™‚

6. Karen says:

I didnt think of making a template for laying down fibres, another great idea πŸ™‚

7. shepherdessann says:

I do mine on plastic so I can leave it in place untill I am ready to roll. I find it easier to move the felt without messing it up after it’s wet.

I don’t have the room. I have to lay it out upstairs, then carefully carry it down to the kitchen for felting. That’s why I rarely make big things. I’ve never dropped one yet, which is weird because I am unbelievably clumsy πŸ™‚

8. shepherdessann says:

You can roll it up dry for easier carrying. roll it around a large pool noodle or pipe. The bigger around it is the fewer wrinkles you get.

Oh, sorry Ann, I wasn’t really clear, I meant I don’t have the room to make large felt at the moment, I need to get a large table. And then remember to not get the paper template wet πŸ™‚