This is a quick( I lost a day so I am late) post about the class I taught on Saturday. I taught it at the Ottawa Valley Weavers’ and Spinners’ Guild. Mostly it is just a lot of pictures of the layout and then after felting. I hear that’s what social media is supposed to be these days lots of pictures and very little reading so I hope you like it.
These are the layouts. A very creative bunch and I think everyone used silk hankies to have a go at making flowers.
I think everyone really enjoyed themselves. It was more work than some thought it would be but that is normal for a felting class. In the end, I think they liked the result.
I used the batch resize feature of my photo program for the first time and it worked out really well. If I had had more time I probably would have done som more precise cropping but when your in a hurry you just have to hold your breath and push the yes butten.
I had another wonderful group of ladies learning to make Nuno felt. I had 5 in the class.
Here everyone is laying out their base wool on the silk blanks I had dyed for the class
Ruth has been talking about layout effecting shrinkage. Some of these ladies are laying their wool along the scarf to get a shorter but wider scarf and the others are laying the wool across the scarf to get a longer but narrower scarf.
After the base is laid down they get to add the embellishments, more wool, curls or silk fibres, hankies or throwsters waste.
Then after much rubbing and rolling and some scrunching and throwing everyone had a lovely finished scarf. the first 2 below put very thin layers so the silk would show through to the wool side.
Everyone seemed really pleased with what they had done and the magic of making nuno felt. I am always amazed at how different everyone pieces are and the surprise when it really works.
While I had my pre-felt out doing the Suprematist pieces, I thought I’d try a few more samples using it. I’ve only used it a few times, but the suprematist pieces were so quick to felt, I thought it might be quite handy for making small pieces for greetings cards. The first one I tried was using some fibre and cotton gauze ‘paper’ I’d made a few years ago. The pieces were already cut out, I carefully peeled off the gauze and laid them on a piece of prefelt:
I can’t remember which fibre I used, but it looks shiny and metallic in real life, like copper, bronze and graphite, not dull brown, pink and grey! The piece is quite flat:
I used some dyed Silk Carrier Rods for the other two pieces, this first one has ‘whole’ layers peeled from the rods before dyeing:
There’s a bit more texture on this piece:
I used small bits of dyed silk rods on this piece, bits which fell off during peeling or after dyeing:
This had more texture too, probably because the pieces overlapped more:
I’ve been into making scarves lately, or more precisely endlessly carding wool and ironing scrim for making scarves, but I have finished a couple. This is a white one I made a few weeks ago:
I used rose fibre for embellishing:
I cut the scarf wider than my template, and scrunch gathered it to size before adding the wool, so it’d have some texture on the back:
And it only took about half an hour to do the photos this time!