This past weekend was Father’s Day and to celebrate we went off to the Glengarry Pioneer Museum to watch a blacksmithing event. This year the workshop was to create a replica antique door latch (Norfolk Latch). It was a 2 day workshop and fascinating to watch most of it. Blacksmiths and blacksmithing are very photogenic, with about 430 shots from Saturday and only 290 from Sunday (the battery died and the backup was in a similar state of uselessness. Don’t panic!!! I promise I will not show you all the photos but there were a few that you might enjoy.
1 the Norfolk Latch that was being recreated, a rolled collar on round stalk (it will be part of the handle)
2 brushing scale off the tenon of the handle created a spark, tongs in front of a lit coal forge.
There were 10 students, an instructor and an assistant. There were also blacksmiths who were not participating but were still watching and enjoying the demonstrations.
3 thick smoke hanging in the air from 10 coal forges starting up.
This is not more smoke from the wildfires, this is 10 coal forges starting up under one side-less barn building.
After the weekend of photography, it was back to fun in the guild library. I added a new magazine, got the library open and ready to use, collected incoming books and got the outgoing ones ready to put into the circulation file. Since the library is now in hand I would get a chance to draw out a couple of options for the wet felting purse. (See I did get to felting!) I had wanted to try the Stegosaurus 3d bag which will be much trickier than the manta ray purse option. Remember I like my felting dry, I can wet felt but making my own shape for a resist is not a common occurrence. Let’s see if I can work this through (With little math and minimal spelling!)
Option 1: this was a more cartoon proportion of a stegosaurus.
4 very simple shape with legs the same length front and back.
Option 2: is still quite cartoonish but the back legs are closer to correct
5 still simplified but more anatomically correct than the previous Stegosaurs.
Next, the phone test;
6 laying the phone over the two drawings from #4 and 5 to make sure the phone will fit.
As much as I prefer the more realistic version, there is better space in the more cartoon one. Ok, so I should polish that one up a bit more.
7 expanding the scrap paper so I can add a better angle and length of the tail and the tops of 2 plates.
Next, trim the sides so I can figure out the gussets for both the back and belly
8 taped strip of paper to figure out the belly gusset of the dinosaur.
First attempt at the belly gusset;
9 estimating gusset for under tail, body, neck and head.
I checked the fit by using painter’s tape to set in the belly with the side
10 Belly gusset fits nicely with the side.
Once I liked the belly I started to work on the back gusset and taped that in to check the fit.
11 inside view with back and belly gussets in.
12 adding width to the head and marked where a zipper would go if I choose to use one.
I wondered if I could attach the belly with the body between the legs and see if I could join the two parts
13 The belly is attached at the belly and behind the legs but not on the neck and tail.
The belly strip would only be half the width but I would have to raze the tail and head. But that might work. I will get a second opinion from Ann when she arrives. I had a quick message chat with Ann to review percentages and shrinkage for firm felting. We decided on 50%. So, I needed to scale up from the finished paper size. I started by measuring the longest and tallest sections.
14 the longest line through the body and the height through the front leg.
I then took it further and graphed the general shape so it would be easier to scale up
15 1-inch graph added to the body.
I tried to estimate the height and length but was having trouble scaling up the legs and still having space for the belly…. Ah. I started at the centre and between the legs and worked out from there.
16 I have most of the body estimated adding half to each side. The graph is making it easier to scale up.
17 This is what I had graphed out by the time Ann arrived. (there was a lot of measuring and adding while I was unsupervised.)
18 Ann lay the paper mock-up on top of the resist
Ann (who is very experienced with wet felting resists) said she thot something looked a bit off. Other than the spikes I was sure I had carefully added the same amount all the way around. Oh…. You meant to add half of what I had, not half on all sides. Sorry, I think I am thinking in 3-D again.
So I now have a shoulder bag-sized dinosaur, not a phone and i-pod audiobook reader sized bag. Well, I could add wool and a couple of spindles at this size but I probably better go back and reconsider my math. I will probably just use the calculator I found last week and had meant to use and totally forgot! (I should never trust my own ability with numbers it is just as bad as my interpretation of spelling! It’s like interpretative dance only much more interpretative.)
So it’s back to the drawing board! Or, I could make it all out of dry… no be brave! I can always wear gloves and keep dry!! I will have to have a little pause and get back to working on 3 more chickadees which I may need for this coming weekend. I just need more hours in the day but for tonight it’s way past my bedtime and I will shortly either fall backwards off my stool or face-plant my keyboard. I will keep you updated with the horrors of math or if I just decide I will make a bigger purse!
Have fun and keep felting!