A tutorial: how to make roving with a drum carder

This week has been hectic. I haven’t had much time to do any felting. I did a little bit of stitching on my seascape, but not enough to show you and a little bit on a set of shoelaces. Mostly I made pasties for the market. They are more popular than we anticipated and we are down to the last few.  This is a few about to go in the freezer. They get bagged once they are frozen.

I thought you might like to see this post from way back at the beginning of our blog journey. This is one of the first posts I did.

After you have carded your wool and it is still on the drum you might like to have it as roving instead of a batt. This will show you how to use a simple diz to do that.  You can make a diz out of almost anything. mine is a piece of plastic cut from the side of a plastic sour cream container, it has a hole in the middle for the wool to come through. you pull a small bit of the carded wool through the hole and turning the drum backwards slide the diz around the drum pulling the wool through in a long rope as you go.  the diz rest directly on the drum. You control the amount of wool in the rope by how fast you slide it across the drum as you go around. If its too hard, you are trying to pull too much wool through the hole.

Ann

This entry was posted in Fiber Preparation, Tutorials, Wool and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A tutorial: how to make roving with a drum carder

1. artbylizb says:

Great idea! So simple, but I never thought of it. Thank you

2. Diane says:

Howdy! You make this look so easy! I’ve seen this done before on one video, but I like how you keep the diz close to the carder drum and sort of slide it off and through at the same time. Thanks for posting this, can’t wait to try it! BTW- have you seen the “feed the locks in sideways” video?

3. Thanks Dane. I havn’t seen that one. I will have to look it up.

Never seen such a good demo – thank you for posting

5. shepherdessann says:

Glad it was helpful Lyn.

6. Nancy Ireland says:

This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to try it.

7. Glad you liked it. it take a little practice you isn’t to hard.

8. Elaine Watkins says:

I have done this but not this method. Will try your method as it produces with less effort.

9. Pingback: Knitting and Roving | feltingandfiberstudio

10. Thank you so much! This is great and it seems very simple.

11. Betty Barry says:

Brilliant…thank you so much for sharing

12. Beverley says:

Tried this it works a dream

13. Lizz Cook says:

A limpet shell from the beach, one with a hole in it, makes a good diz and you can collect different sizes too.

14. annielynrosie says:

Your pasties look so delicious Ann! Clear and very useful tutorial on how to get roving from the drum carder – thank you.

15. Antje says:

Thank you Ann. First for making me hungry with your delicious looking pasties! Second for showing your method of creating the roving from the drum carder. I too have collected and used limpet shells, with holes, as a dizz. I will now try your method too.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )