Autumn in the Mountains

I told you last week about our nuno felting party. I made six landscape pieces that I plan on adding either hand or machine stitching.

I don’t think I showed you this one. I used a piece of prefelt, covered it entirely with silk and then added a variety of wool for the mountains and curls for the autumn “bushes” and ground cover. It has a little bit of nuno as surface design so I suppose it counts in the 2nd Quarter Challenge. I had already started a little bit of outline stitch with stem stitch and hand dyed wool thread when I realized I hadn’t taken a photo of the piece before stitching.

The silk sky got a bit hairy so I decided to shave it down. This is the before shaving photo.

And the after shaving photo. It does make a difference in the shininess and colors in the sky.

Here is the finished piece. I used a distorted detached chain stitch in the “bushes” and a straight stitch for the grasses. The next question is how I am going to finish and frame the piece. I do like organic edges but I don’t think it looks as professional when you’re trying to sell a piece. So I cropped the photo on the right as if it was in a matte and frame. What do you think? Leave the organic edges or cover them?

This entry was posted in Challenges, Nuno Felting, Stitching and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Autumn in the Mountains

1. tracey2008 says:

So the landscape guess was correct! I really like that Ruth. I have done quite a few mountain pieces, either framed pictures, canvas work or cards, I just like how you can define it all with the machine stitching. I really like the colours and the hand stitching too. Organic or framed? I am not much help as I like how they both look. I haven’t put any organic work up for sale as yet, but I see others selling their work in an organic way. You could try selling it organic and if you get no takers after a certain period of time, frame it. I think this is what I would do.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Tracey, yes, you guessed right. I already have quite a few organic pieces that just didn’t sell. I think I am going to shell out the money to get them professionally framed this time. See if that helps with sales.

2. I love organic, but in this case we think trimmed and framed would look good. The sky is so effectively beautiful and the foreground stitching is perfect.

3. Lillian Johnson says:

In my opinion the piece does look more professional as a cropped piece.

4. Carol says:

Hi I prefer the cropped edges if you are planning to sell but if it a piece for your own collection I would leave the organic edges. I think attached top and bottom to a piece of a lovely branch would make it really stand out. Come to think of it using that same organic framing could possibly make it more attractive for selling. Just a thought.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Carol! Using branches is a good suggestion but I have had limited success in selling pieces framed that way in the past. I haven’t made a final decision yet and appreciate your opinion.

5. Antje says:

I love how evocative your landscape is Ruth and the colours you’ve used.
    I have another suggestion for finishing….with your painting skills, could you ‘extend’ your landscape and create a crisp edge with the paint, but leave your organic edged felt on top. If you colour matched (maybe a shade or two lighter) to your landscape there would be a gentle transition from felt to paint – perhaps echoing your gentle rolling hills!

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Antje! I never thought of that. It is a good idea that I will have to think on for a while. Not sure it will happen with this one but I certainly think it is worth a try!

I’m with Lyn. My preference is organic but for a professional look it’s best cropped.

7. Lindsay says:

Lovely landscape, Ruth. I particularly like the consrasting tones within harmonious colours, and the hand stitching is beautiful. Interesting replies re finishing. I agree with others that both look good and Antje’s suggestion is very interesting. I usually finish my pictures by cutting them square then refelting the edges, so something in between: neatness but no faffing with mounts. When I spray glue the back I cover the edges with masking tape so I don’t get glue on the fuzzy bits at the edges which also means they float slightly when stuck on the mount. I also sometimes leave the bottom edge (which in my case is usually pebbles) more organic. …….I may not be helping in narrowing this down!

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Lindsay! Your method of mounting sounds good. It’s always so interesting to hear other people’s solutions to a common problem.

8. Antje says:

Ah ha. Thanks Lindsay. I’ve not thought of spray glueing a finished piece, and your method allows it still to look like it is ‘floating’.

9. Flextiles says:

I think framing does make it look more professional. Are you planning to mount it under glass or just stretch it over a frame?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Kim, I haven’t decided which way to frame yet. I don’t really like glass as it seems to take so much of the texture away. But perhaps glass looks more professional?

• Flextiles says:

Personally I prefer not to have glass over textiles, especially felt, as you lose the tactile element that makes them so attractive. But of course it adds extra protection and probably seems more professional. 🤔

• ruthlane says:

I will get some advice from another gallery owner and frame shop guy. See what he thinks.

10. It’s a great piece. I like it cropped better and you had a comment on facebook with cropped as well. I think it is more traditional and what most people expect. I like the idea of the painted back ground too. I don’t think I have the talent for it but you are quite good with paint. .

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Ann! Yes, the traditional approach I think sells better too. I think I would need to plan the painted background as I was planning the piece but it is a very interesting idea.

Oh, wow, it looks great before you add all the stitching, but it really adds a lot, especially the bottom. I agree about the edges/framing. I think it just focuses your eye better.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Zed! I think I’m going to get the set of 6 professionally framed to see if that helps them sell better. Of course it will make them more expensive too.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )