Collage And A Case

When I’d had a tidy up over new year, and made enough space to get out all my offcuts, I chose some pieces for a new collage book cover. I made a start on attaching the pieces to some thin fabric, which I think is some kind of interfacing.

When the pieces are such irregular shapes, or at unusual angles it’s really hard to position the pieces so there isn’t one of the same or similar colour touching! I think I have enough bright colours to finish the piece, but wondered if some added texture might work too. Luckily, I have the nuno strips sampler from a few weeks ago, and another I made recently:

Even though I love this texturey scarf, I don’t think it’s suitable for a book cover:

I’m in two minds about this one, it’s not as ‘loose’, but still has potential to catch on something:

Last week at the well being centre, we were doing simple resists again, for our newest member. I was going to do the ‘usual’ simple case one which is about 22 – 30cm x 8cm (depending on whether a flap is wanted or not). But, since we both like drums, and she’s a really fast learner, I thought we’d be a bit adventurous and use a 61 x 6.5cm template to make drumstick cases. They both turned out really great, this is mine:

The drumsticks fitted snuggly and securely. They’re perfect … for new sticks, but after I used my sticks for only the second time this week, they looked like this:

Wool and fibres don’t make me cringe, but the sound of rough drumsticks dragging on felt is not pleasant! Luckily, because the cases weren’t very wide, we ended up with uneven shrinkage, and they shrunk less along the length of the case, and I cut a few inches off the end of mine. And it works just like the cardboard sleeve the sticks came in:

And I can slide it off the smooth end, no scratchy wool noises!

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Collage And A Case

1. I agree about the two nuno strips. They would end up catching on something. The drum stick case sound cool. Could you have just cut off the other end and left them completely covered?

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      The noise the sticks made on the wool was horrible, the sleeve/strip was about as big as I could get it without touching rough wood, and still be far up to hold them together.

2. How about trying a wrapped case for the drumsticks. Similar to those old lipstick cases that held the tube of lipstick then had a small mirror on the flap and snapped closed. If you had a wrapped case you could put a couple of loops of elastic on the inside for the drumsticks and have loops or snaps to close the container.

• That’s a good idea Carlene!

Thanks, Carlene πŸ™‚
      that really is a great idea! I actually saw a case last week when I was looking up hotrod sticks and saw someone’s whole stick and brush collection. Maybe if I go somewhere between the two ideas, make a case like you describe, make it bigger than I need with a wrap around cord, then if I get more sticks, I can add them πŸ™‚

3. Love the felt for the drum sticks cover! Carlene’s idea is good.

Reckon you should just continue with the bright colours – they are looking great!

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      Yeah, I think the gauze strip might work, but I’ll save the others for little bags.

The notebook cover is looking good. I don’t think it is an issue if two pieces of the same color touch. And I agree that the nuno pieces might snag.
    I love the drumstick sleeve, looks perfect. Wonder if there are others looking for a way to hold their drumsticks? A new item to sell?

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      We were talking about drumstick sleeves yesterday at felting, before I’d read Carlene’s suggestion, we thought of something more sturdy like ‘pleather’ (fake leather), but a different design gives more options to keeping some, or the outside felt. It’s not exactly rock ‘n’ roll, though is it!!

I’m always amazed how well you can put such different colors together. The notebook case is looking good. The drumstick cover is a good idea. Perhaps you need a new pair that aren’t cracked. Too bad you couldn’t make Felt ones. πŸ™‚

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      Those are a brand new pair of sticks! I’ve used them 3 times so far πŸ™‚ Actually when I was looking for a bass drum pedal, I saw listings for replacement felt, so it might come in handy for that one day! I bet the colours just go together well because the wool is all from the same source, dyed by the same company. When I use different acrylic brands together, the paints don’t blend as well.

6. Pingback: Finished Bookcovers, Unfinished Purses | feltingandfiberstudio

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )