4th Quarter Challenge

I had never heard of the Suprematist art movement that Zed picked for the 4th Quarter Challenge. I looked it up right after the challenge was posted and got the basic idea. Then I got busy doing other things. But this weekend, I had some extra time and decided I would continue to try to use up scraps and UFO’s to create the challenge piece.

I started by looking through my felt scrap basket and found these white off cuts. I can’t even remember what these were originally.

I stitched them together with zig zag stitch on the sewing machine. I left the thread ends and uneven edges in case I wanted to have an uneven/organic type edge.

I then went through a bunch of my screen printed, stenciled, printed felt samples. I cut a few shapes and started playing around with placement. This was my final decision on placement. I pinned these all in place and then got a little kit together for hand stitching. We drove 2 hours to Missoula to a football game this past weekend, so I stitched in the car.

Here it is after I stitched it down. You can click on the photo to enlarge it. I just did a simple applique stitch with machine thread in colors close to the felt color. Now what to do with it. My friend suggested I could make a felt cuff out of it. It isn’t quite long enough but if I added some elastic it would work.

Or I could crop it and frame it. What else could I make out of it. It’s not very big, about 5″ x 7″ when cropped. Have you thought about joining in the challenge. It’s really easy, just find some felt shapes and put them together in a pleasing combination. You can show us your results here: http://feltandfiberstudio.proboards.com/thread/3496/2017-fourth-quarter-challenge

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to 4th Quarter Challenge

That’s really pretty! You could frame it without cropping – that would be in keeping with suprematism – but it looks good cropped.
    It would make a very lovely (large) blank greeting card or it could be made into a notebook cover if it were attached to fabric.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Lyn! I considered the card idea but would have to cut some paper for that. My regular greeting card size is too small. The notebook cover idea would work for sure.

2. it looks good Ruth. Lyn stole my ideas. Frame it without cropping or sew it to a bigger piece of fabric or felt and make something else. It might be interesting to make a tea cozy with the piece incorporated.

Very nice Ruth. I like the way you pulled the pieces of scrap together. I agree with Lyn leaving it uncropped would be cool. I have to start mine and was planning on using scraps but in a diffferent way. Let us know what you do with it.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Marilyn, I am considering the uncropped option but I have so many “framed” pieces that don’t sell that I don’t think I need any more of those. I am thinking something functional probably.

4. Tracey says:

How about using a nice piece of driftwood or small interesting branch to make it into a wall hanging Ruth?

I really like that, Ruth! You got shapes and texture. My first thoughts were cards, framed picture or notebook cover too.I might have to use thoese myself! I like the cafetiere cosy idea, too.