The first thing I did this week was felt the three feathers onto a another larger piece of prefelt. I didn’t loose a lot of color, but some of the definition was lost especially on the yellow. I will probably embellish this at a later time.
I also made four large merino felt pieces to use stamps and found objects on. I made several stamps and cut out a couple of stencils from Mylar. Here are some of the found objects.
I don’t know what the orange thing is, but I bought it Kohls on clearance a while back. There’s a scraper, bottle top, leaf stamp, tupperware lid, a piece of what I think was a vegetable tray liner, a felt ornament I glued onto a ceramic tile and a reverse stamp I had made out of clay a long time ago. I won’t show the other stamps since its proprietary to Ruth’s class material.
I started with lighter colors like yellow and continued to try new stamps and objects with different colors and thicknesses. I really had difficulty getting good prints. Its probably the operator and not the materials or classwork.
I had made one stamp with shapes another with leaves. I basically painted the dyes on to get a decent print with some texture. you can see them in teal and blue.
I used a commercial bird stencil with black and green dyes on the purple prefelt I had made.
It was unknown fiber and would stick to the stencil brush or foam brush. You can see the fiber standing up in the second pic.
Then I had made a mylar stencil of a cat and stenciled that on a piece I had done last week. I will felt that and the birds later.
We were also encouraged to try printing on paper. I have a bunch of handmade paper from my papermaking days, so I tried the felt snowflake again and got a good print, then went around the edges using up the dye and giving it a bit of texture for a background.
I set all the pieces except for the large piece and the paper. I also included the flower piece from last week. Surprisingly it bled and I couldn’t wash it out.
I was very disappointed in this since it looked so nice before setting the dye. I’m not sure what to do to fix it.