Cords and Knitting

I haven’t had chance to do much felting lately, apart from making a few ‘spare’ cords for future use.

I just used some colours I had out from when I’d made some felted soap:

I did start on a couple of knitting projects though. I just wanted something to do, so haven’t decided definitely what this first one might be, but a headband was one idea. It’s made with the pencil roving waste from World of Wool:

I also started some other knitting, this is with ‘proper’ pencil roving, I thought I might make it long enough to make a simple bag out of:

I have a nice green version of the wool too:

One thing which has stopped me doing many knitting projects is my first attempt at sewing up. I don’t know if you remember some pieces I made a while ago:

I made them with the intention of sewing them into arm warmers. I don’t think I ever showed them sewn up. I watched lots of videos and could not work it out, so in the end someone at a knitting group did one for me and I copied. Well, they look pretty horrible:

I’d planned to use the same pencil roving waste to sew up, but was told it’d be better to use something thinner. I was even talked out of using pencil roving, like the variegated one, and used Arran or something similar. I have a couple of other pieces I’d made for arm warmers, but they’ve stayed knitted rectangles because I don’t want to ruin them!

If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the right direction for tutorials (think ‘explain like I’m 5’ kind of thing!!) I’d be very grateful πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Knitting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Cords and Knitting

This is an excellent video Zed, showing how to join the knitted edges:

The cords are really pretty! The variegated wool is lovely – would you knit then full the bag?

• Lyn says:

Sorry – I thought I was putting a link in there but it’s come up huge!

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      Don’t worry about the video, it saves going off-site πŸ™‚
      I might have used that video when I did some purl stitch and found it easier, but it’s with plain knitting where I have the trouble, it seems less obvious where to poke the needle. Or maybe it’s my bad knitting?! I hadn’t thought about fulling the bag until I saw Leonor’s comments!

2. Kathryn says:

nice!

Glad to see you knitting! πŸ˜€ The Chunky yarn you’re using for the possible bag might not be the best choice though, because it seems to be a singles yarn (not plied) – this means it’s a lot more prone to pilling due to friction, which I’m guessing a bag will be subject to quite a lot…
    Have you thought about knitting those armbands in the round? That way you wouldn’t have to join anything together, it would just be done when you’re done πŸ™‚

Thanks, Leonor πŸ™‚
      That is a really good point, yeah, you’re right, it’s a single/ isn’t plied. I didn’t consider wear and tear. Silly really, since I’ve done tons of testing for felt bags. I had wondered about making some sample squares to felt/full and try felting on top of some Merino tops (I’ve tried the yarn woven on top and didn’t get perfect results, but it wasn’t too bad, loose in places) so maybe I will do that instead now. Or, maybe make smaller arm warmers! I haven’t knitted in the round, I don’t know how to get the right size/length. Any suggestions for something which will work for arm warmers and/or a hat?

• Leonor says:

You can use the singles for a hat, since it’s a low friction item! For arm warmers, I’d go for something with at least two plies, maybe a DK weight. Knitting in the round is super easy, especially if you use a circular needle in the magic circle method. Go on YouTube and look for tutorials, you won’t regret it πŸ˜€

Sorry, I meant any suggestions for needles?! πŸ™‚ I’ve been using 10mm bamboo, but every time I see needles for round knitting, the wire seems really long, like for a jumper.

The cords look great. Sorry but I’m useless when it comes to knitting.

The cords are beautiful. What will you do with them? I haven’t knitted in decades so I’m no help, but a circular needle makes sense to avoid the sewing, Good luck!

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      I mostly wanted the cords for making loops to close bags or books, or to attach for hanging felt decorations. I think the circular needle is looking like the next step!

6. Janet Morton says:

Don’t be hard on yourself. I think your wrist warmers are great because of the interesting pattern and design. I can’t knit to save myself but I can crochet and funny thing is I find it easy to sew up both very neatly. Just enjoy the originality. πŸ’

Thanks, Janet πŸ™‚
      yeah, it’s not too bad for the first attempt, but it being a different yarn, does pull and is a bit ‘stiff’ too. It’s ok for me, but you always want it ‘perfect’ when you make something for someone else, don’t you? πŸ™‚

7. The ropes are great colours. I don’t knit but I would think either a circular needle or 4 double points. wouldn’t you just use the same number of stitches as you did for the flat one? If you use double points you want to get the rubber stoppers for the ends so you don’t loose stitches.

8. Antje Ream says:

Hi,
    As Shepherdessann says above….use 4 double pointers….then imagine you are sitting with with our grannies’ generation all clicking away creating wonderful socks!

Abroad they hardly ever use individual knitting needles for general knitting (socks/arm bands are a bit different)! Circular needles allow you to go round and round continuously to make a tube, or back and forth creating a flat piece….and the stitches don’t drop off so easily!

9. molivermade says:

I agree with Antje…Double pointed needles DPN. I find 5″ or 6″ dpn’s are a good length. Longer than that and they get in the way. Learn with a you tube video. You will make beautiful seamless fingerless gloves.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )