Third Quarter Challenge Part Two

I showed you my design development process on my last post for the 3rd Quarter Challenge. Now on to the felting portion.

Here is the design that I have traced on to a heavy interfacing. I was really thinking I would use a lighter interfacing but this is the first I found so I used it. The resist is to prevent wool migration in the area of the design using a darker color on the bottom and lighter color on the top of the resist.

I cut out the design with a sharp craft knife.

Here’s the design completely cut out. I really like how it looks and I’m excited to see how it will work when felted in between two layers of wool. I had originally planned on using black and grey wool but changed my mind as I didn’t have the black wool right at hand. I decided to use a mixed blue batt and yellow.

I laid out a couple of layers of blue but looking at this photo now, I realize that the blue was just not dark enough and not a big enough contrast to the yellow.

I added my resist on top of the blue.

Then I covered it with yellow.

Here it is ready to be wet down.

I worked the felt mainly from the back because I felt like I was shifting the blue fibers as they migrated through the yellow when I rubbed on the front. It felt like I was making a fiber pizza crust.

The result when it was wet.

And dry. A bit underwhelming to say the least and I was disappointed. I think a coarser wool on the bottom layer would have helped and a stronger contrast of colors might have made a difference. But all is not lost. I am planning on hand stitching around the design to bring it back to life. So more next week!

 

 

 

This entry was posted in Challenges, Wet Felting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Third Quarter Challenge Part Two

  1. Ruth, why don’t you take it out ! Just like cracked mud? That would be wonderful!

  2. Lyn says:

    That’s the fascination of felting – you can never be sure how things will turn out! However, your design is visible and I reckon stitching will be the answer. Your cutting out of the interfacing is impressive!

    • ruthlane says:

      Thanks Lyn! The cutting out takes a steady hand but it’s fairly simple. We’ll see if the stitching improves it. And yes, you never really know how the felt will turn out.

  3. Leonor says:

    Very interested in seeing Part 3 of this project! I’m really sorry the interfacing didn’t pop out as expected, the design was really beautiful.

  4. You did a great job cutting it out. I always mass them up. I wonder if some beating on the yellow side would help. Use a pool noodle to whack it. When you throw a piece the wool seems to migrate more so whacking it may help.

  5. Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

    I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s a good thing you used the heavier interfacing. Stitching will bring it to life for sure. Your cutting out of the design is impressive. I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

    • ruthlane says:

      Thanks Marilyn! It is good that I used the heavier interfacing. I don’t think the lighter stuff would have worked at all.

  6. Florence says:

    Why not cut the interfacing resist out to expose the colour underneath then enhance with stitch

  7. Josephine Dakers-Brathwaite says:

    Very interesting to see how you developed this project. Can’t wait to see after the stitching!

  8. ruthlane says:

    Thanks! Hopefully the stitching will get completed quickly πŸ™‚

  9. Flextiles says:

    Very interesting! Couple of thoughts:
    * How did the shrinkage of the felt affect the interfacing? Did it buckle up?
    * Could you recut around the template, leaving a border where the edges have felted together, so you would have just a felt-covered template that is different colours on each side? Lots of edges to work! This template may be too complex or the gaps too small but it might work with a simpler design.

    • ruthlane says:

      Thanks Kim, the interfacing did buckle up some. I’m sure there is some way that I could cut that would make the pattern show more. There are lots of edges for sure and yes, probably too complex but it was better than my first choice πŸ˜‰

  10. zedster66 says:

    It still looks interesting even if it didn’t turn out as you hoped. I’d have thought it’d work just fine too. It’s a great idea though and could work loads of different ways, like Jifke said about cutting it out, or just as an inclusion like for a lamshade, or similar to your celtic hat project, or even with silk on top instead of wool. I like your stitching so I’m looking forward to seeing it with that πŸ™‚

    • ruthlane says:

      Thanks Zed, it actually looks worse than it did now. I really don’t like it. I will post more about it this week but it is headed for the recycle bin.

  11. Pingback: I’ve Definitely Been Challenged! | feltingandfiberstudio

We love comments and love to hear your opinions. Thanks for stopping by.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s