Blues and Greens

These are the blue and green nuno pieces I made using fabric strips a few weeks ago. I tried to include a wide range of colours as well as various fabrics.
This one was a mix of blue, purple, green and turquoise:

The two viscose pieces either side of this silk chiffon have great ripples, the chiffon just sunk in. It’s one of my favourite fabrics, from a dress I got at a charity shop and didn’t realise was silk until I used it and saw how it sunk in, and went back to search for the label.

I’ve noticed that some fabrics attach better if they are in the middle or aren’t too close to the edge. I’ll try a sample with just this thick blue scarf piece at the end, and see if it attaches better not so close to the edge.

All the fabrics I used on this piece were silk or strongly suspected of being silk:

It looks much better close up, and on an angle – the lighter pieces seem to reflect light a lot:

You can see the textures better too:

I think I made the strips a bit too long on the green piece, a few of these didn’t attach well along the edge, even though the rest of the pieces did. I usually try to make sure I work on edges, so I don’t know why it happens sometimes:

Slightly closer:

I did think I’d probably make one mostly blue bag and one mostly green, but once the strips were cut up and moved around to see which others they looked best with, it didn’t work out like that! Also, being conscious of how bags wear more on the back, picking pieces to work best there also influenced the final outcome. These are the two panels I made for my next bag:

I have to remember to take photos of it sewn up for next time!

This entry was posted in Nuno Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Blues and Greens

Beautiful colour combos as usual, Zed! Looking forward to seeing that finished object πŸ™‚

My favorite color ways! The textures are wonderful. I wonder how well it would have held up if you had just sewn around the samples with a backing instead of cutting them up and re piecing them.

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      I’ve done similar things for purses/other kinds of bags/cases etc, but I really wanted ‘offcuts’ so I could mix and match, and also use the smaller offcuts for other things. I think they contrast and work better when they’re mixed and matched.

3. I love the colors too. I think it is a very good idea to try-out the fabrics with the wool you want to use. Only to prefend or to find out what you can expect.
    But i am the one who can’t wait, and prefer learning the rules of the game while playing, so….

Thanks, Jifke πŸ™‚
      Yeah, me too. I think I’d tried nearly all of these fabrics before, but knew that I’d be cutting them up and sewing them anyway, so it wouldn’t matter if they didn’t attach securely, like the textured scarf.

I love the mix ‘n’ match. Each piece enhances another making them greater than on their own.

Please remember to take photo of finished bag to share.

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      As soon as it stops raining and being oddly dark, I’ll be getting the camera out!

5. Tracey says:

I love blue and green together. Looking forward to the completed bag, lovely so far.

Thanks, Tracey πŸ™‚
      Me too, I did ‘borrow’ a few of the leftover strips to make myself a camera bag! I’ll try to remember to get a photo of that too.

Yes, your method of cutting them up and putting them back together results in a richer result and gives those nice “wonky” lines of stitching between.

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      I like the wonly shapes/lines too, this was one of the unusually straighter/neater bags, maybe because the pieces were purpose made, the real offcuts usually make more irregular panels with wedge shapes and odd angles.