A Few More Samples

About a month ago I posted a couple of photos of some scruffy/tassley felt samples in more neutral/bolder colour schemes. The black one I’d made inspired me to make up some batts of various grey blends. Luckily (or not?) I’d got a load of grey tops in some Botany Lap Waste, but after recent experiences, thought I’d better make some samples! I had 4 shades of what felt like Merino tops, so I started with them. As it turned out, the felted just like Merino tops!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe next one I tried felt like nice soft natural wool tops, it was a ‘humbug’ blend, which I usually associate with Jacob, but it felt much softer and looked as if there might be some ‘other’ fibres blended in too. I guessed at black viscose. There wasn’t much and it wasn’t any more obvious after felting, but it made a nice piece:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOften the tops in the Botany lap waste are the end of blend runs and custom orders. I think I got the leftovers from someone’s huge grey order, which was mostly fine, but there were some strange blends, like natural greys with nylon, and this next one which was a natural grey with a purpley Angelina sparsely blended in. You couldn’t see it at all afterwards though:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is it flipped over:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt felted really quickly, was really soft, but also had quite a curl/wave to it, the shade of grey reminded me of Suffolk, but it didn’t feel like it. This is it held up at the window:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd a close up:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd just because there’s been so much grey in this post, a nice colourful bluey green piece:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd some scrap yarn coiled up:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to A Few More Samples

Confession: my favourite in this post is the scrap yarn šŸ˜€

How do you mark these samples when you’re not sure what’s in them? The last brown one looks a lot like gotland. Of course my favorite is the blue green piece. Will you make another sample with the scrap yarn?

Hmm, I hadn’t thought of that, usually I know what the sample is made from to label it. They will probably just go in a box of pieces for cutting up anyway. I’ve labeled the bags of tops as Botany lap waste, and I’ve kept the non felting stuff separate now, so hopefully I’ll just remember that if it’s in with the other tops, it’ll felt šŸ™‚ I think that scrap yarn will get added to something and become a brooch.

Lovely grey samples and I’m glad they all felted easily this time. The scrap yarn would make a very nice brooch. šŸ™‚

Thanks, Ruth šŸ™‚
      Yeah me too, I’d rather have unfeltable purple and blue that I can spin and weave, than lots of un-natural greys!

You just gotta make a brooch from that yarn!

I might give it to Cath from the group, she made some really nice ones for the sale, so it’s less likely to get messed up!

5. I like all the shades of grey. I bet the one with nylon was for sock yarn. the scrap yarn makes me think of a candy that has been in the bottom of someone’s purse and got lint stuck to it. LOL

Yeah, it was a nice selection šŸ™‚ I hadn’t thought of sock yarn, I think they should have chosen something other than superbright sparkly trilobal though! You’ve got a vivid imagination, Ann šŸ™‚