Mini Weaving

It seems lately everyone is into weaving. This past summer I was shopping with my daughter in law at Joann’s and this mini loom caught my eye.  I actually thought it might be something to do with the grandsons.

20161113_152046

The last time I wove anything was on one of those metal looms using loops to make pot holders.  Yeah, I’m showing my age.

I forgot about the loom when I got home then when I was gathering all my scraps for the 4th Quarter challenge I found it under a pile. Ok, let’s see how this works and what all the hoopla is about.  Looks easy enough.

I have a tubful of yarn so that’s where I started. I thought an autumn theme would be nice. The black acrylic/wool combo also has a little silver bling, the pink ball is mohair and the multi colored yarn is thick and thin with a little blue and white thin threads.  I also added some polyester and silk scraps and hand dyed boucle.  The ball of yarn under the string is the alpaca I used to make my Ginkgo leaves a while back.  Not pictured is hand dyed green pencil roving.

20161113_153717

They don’t sell the warp so I decided to just use string. Besides I didn’t want to invest in anything if it was something that I wasn’t going to do a lot of.

I didn’t like using the shuttle, so I just used my fingers.  Here it is on the loom:

20161113_144410Here’s a closeup:

20161113_144420

The instructions were not helpful so I ended up finding a video online.  I used the alpaca as fringe. I wasn’t following a particular pattern just kind of winging it.

Of course, I had to hide the ends which was a lot more fiddly than I like.  But I like the overall look.  I decided to make it a wall hanging and cut a piece of bamboo to tie it to.  You can’t tell from the picture, but it’s hanging on a light gold wall.  Sorry about the shadow .

20161113_151758It took me a lot longer than anticipated.  But I’m happy with the results.  I may try another to felt.  But I don’t see myself investing any larger looms.  I admire those of you who have the patience to dress a loom and weave away.

This entry was posted in Weaving and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Mini Weaving

1. Hi, Elizabeth , yes to dress the loom is most work of all. I recognized some wool of yours, I have the same 😉 For playing with it and having quick result, wich children like, it is a nice piece .
    Lovely warm colors and I like the way of hanging.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Viltmaaraan! I guess autumn had an influence. But it is clearly turning to winter here this weekend. I like playing with colors and textures.

The colours are lovely Marilyn, the weaving is very neat and I like the hanging device. Although using the string wasn’t intended to be part of the design, it very much is – the white streaks make the colours show to their best.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! I agree the white does add a nice touch. I was very pleased with the end result. But working with string especially having to tie it off at the top was a bit challenging since it kept unraveling.

3. If I needed another project (which I don’t) I would like to try this.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks for stopping by Judy good to “see” you here. I’m sure you don’t need any more projects. I don’t think any of us do. 🙂 But sometimes it’s nice to change it up.

4. It turned out really well. I am with you weaving is not for me. I wish it was because you can do some great things on a loom. I just find every part of it tedious.

Thanks Ann! I was grateful it was a mini loom. 🙂

6. Marilyn, I think you show great promise in weaving! What you made–even though very small–is quite wonderful in the pattern, colors and clean lines. ( Maybe that’s where I should have started!) Dressing a large floor loom is tedious and frustrating, but the weaving is a delight. You get out of it what you put into it. Something Confucius said?

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Cathy! But I’m not sure there is bigger loom is in my future. I did enjoy putting together the colors and textures and of course being able to use some stuff in my scrap box. I did find the process a bit tedious. I guess I don’t have a lot of patience. :-). But I did get a nice wall hanging so perhaps Confucius is right.

You’re right, Marilyn, so many people are into weaving lately! I see a lot of nice works by fellow fibre enthusiasts, and love it when I see some other materials added to the weave, like ribbons or art yarns. Yours looks really nice!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Leonor! You’re right there are so many options with the weaving and people are making wonderful patterns and textures using a lot of different materials.

Very nice weaving Marilyn.

9. Yeah, dressing a loom is tedious but weaving is quicker when you have shafts and pedals. I admire the effort that goes into using those small format looms. Great result!

Thanks! I’m sure it takes practice and coordination on the bigger ones.

Nicely done Marilyn. That’s about all the weaving I would care to do either. I have enough paths to follow without adding weaving to the mix.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ruth! You certainly do. I don’t know how you manage it all. There are so many things I want to learn there never seems to be enough time to do it all.

12. Teri Berry says:

Traditional weaving techniques have yet to grab my attention, if I do any it will be with handfuls of roving woven together before being felted but your piece will be a great inspiration for your grandsons and a great way to use up those scraps of yarn we all have from the ends of projects!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Teri! I love the idea of using up those scraps and the yarn I have laying around. I wouldn’t have tackled anything larger, but was curious to try. Next time it will definitely be a felting project. 🙂

Have a look at pencil roving waste at WoW, Teri, like pencil thin strands of wool tops which don’t fall apart!

That turned out really nicely, Marilyn 🙂 Did you add the bottom tassels before you started weaving?

Thanks Zed! Yes, the tassels were the first to go on.