Neutrals and Brights

This first piece is one I made at the well being centre a few weeks ago. We were having an ‘explore/play day’. Cath had just come back from Ireland and brought some bog cotton to try, and I’d been given some tulle from one of the women from the craft group. I put some of the budget filling between the layers and also some ‘balls’ (maybe clouds is a better word!) of recycled plastic. Just enough so it wasn’t flat:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is a piece from my favourite loopy layered scarf:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI had hoped the tulle would be a bit more pillowy, I used quite a lot, squashed with some wisps over. It just kind of folded and flattened, but it is quite plasticy looking, this is the least flat part:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the bog cotton:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this is a bit of plastic I added to the top:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWhen I get a few spare minutes, I’m making some simple single colour felt pieces to use cut up and pieced together with other felt strips and offcuts. This is an orange piece I made, mostly Merino with a few embellishments:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI really like this green one, I got some ‘Chartreuse’ from World of Wool, I think this will replace the ‘Grass’ I usually buy. I did add a few wisps of grass over the top, and there are quite a few embellishments too:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is a BFL lock, a bit of green silk at the top right, and some trilobal nylon at the bottom:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is some crimped synthetic fibre, it’s soft and feels like arylic, but it didn’t have a label. I know it isn’t nylon, because I tried dyeing some:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Neutrals and Brights

I love the name ‘bog cotton’ – makes me chuckle – looks good though! I like the orange and green pieces and I hope you show us what you make from them.

Thanks, Lyn 🙂
      The bog cotton is interesting, I’m going to try it with other wools too.

I’ve never heard of bog cotton, but it gives a nice texture and look. My chuckle was reading you put grass over the chartreuse. I had to read it twice. I’m assuming grass is a color.:-). Very interesting pieces. It sounds like you’ve got a pretty good group at the Centre and you’re all putting your heads together for more experimenting.

Thanks, Marilyn 🙂
      Yeah, that should have read ‘ a few wisps of the Grass coloured Merino’! We’re doing vessels from flat resists next Monday at the centre, not something I’ve done much of, so hopefully it’ll work!

Great textures Zed. I always love to see what you come up with and trying out new fibers.

Thanks, Ruth 🙂
      as much as I’ve always liked trying different things, the centre has encouraged me to experiment more.

4. Nice pieces. The tulle doesn’t look well attached even with the wool over it. Is it? Will you weave the green and orange together? What is bog cotton?

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      Yeah, the tulle is well attached, mostly underneath, I scrunched a fair bit up and then added wisps, hoping it’d bounce back, but it just folded and felted flatish. I’m just making a collection of pieces for cutting up, no plans just yet. Bog cotton is a plant which looks like a grass or rush, but has a dense cotton-like seed head.