It was Canada Day

Not much time around here for felting this last week. The big excitement is we had 2 caves born. You will have to excuse the picture quality they are in the field with our phones.

caves 1

They are both boys and they have different moms even if it’s hard to tell them apart. The one is really very dark brown when you see him up close.

calf 1 calf 2 having a drink

This is Dad, Bart. He is a small Angus bull

Bart

And some other members of the family, all Dexters, who should all be having babies of their own soon.

herd

So for the last 2 days going out to check on  them has been a game of hunt the calves. Their moms hide them to keep them safe. It makes it hard to check on them.

hidden calf

The other exciting thing is we had Canada Day.

Happy Canada Day everyone

moose-canada-day

We are 149 years old. I am writing this on Canada Day so I hope we will not have the fireworks rained out. Rain is in the forecast and we do desperately need it but I want to watch the fire works. Here is a song form our singing astronaut (Chris Hatfield) and his brother to tell you all about Canada.

It a couple of days early but  for all our American readers:

Happy 4th of July

firework-clipart-flag-fireworks USA

This entry was posted in Sheep Farming, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to It was Canada Day

Hope the rain stayed away for the fireworks Ann. Nice to see your new boys.

Happy Canada day, Ann! I hope you got to enjoy your fireworks. And… is your country officially a teenager now? 🙂

Love the song.

I like the way the mums hide the calfs – sweet!

Cute calves! And I agree with Lyn about hiding the calves, after all they are Moms. 🙂 Wouldn’t we do the same if we lived outdoors? Happy Canada Day!

• Thanks Marilyn. I know they are only protecting the calves. Unfortunately we have coyotes so we like to know where they are. The are locked into a smaller pasture now so its easier to keep an eye on them. They will be up walking around more with their moms pretty fast.

Love the calves Ann. Glad you shot off some fireworks for Canada Day. We are celebrating the 4th tomorrow since I have to work on the 4th.

• Thanks Ruth. I hope you have good weather for celebrating and good weather for tourists too. Everything here is closed except the tourist districts. I assume it’s the same down there.

6. Lovely new babies…enjoy!

How are the animals with the fireworks, Ann, do they get scared? Maybe you need to make Calf Caves for next year 🙂