Stitching Some Felt and a Frame

I showed your this piece on the second quarter challenge post. https://feltingandfiberstudio.com/2016/04/05/second-quarter-challenge-2016/

11 reuse picture

I want to practice some hand stitching on this piece but found it floppy and frustrating to stitch. I thought an embroidery hoop might work but the felt is to thick.

I had seen pictures of the frames for rug hooking. They seem to have wire teeth similar to carding cloth around the edges. I thought that would be too aggressive to hold felt and they are not cheap. So off to the hardware store.

This is what I got, ABS pipe and some elbows.

ABS pipe peices

I assembled them into a rectangle and added the hook side of some industrial Velcro.

ABS pipe assembled ABS velcro

The reason I used the industrial Velcro is because the sticky on the back is so much better. And it is stuck and doesn’t fall off.

ABS all attached ABS all attached 2

It is a bit heavy after a while as I have no stand for it. Lighter pipe would be good but I think smaller pipe would cramp my hand holding it.

This is what I have done so far. Not far but a start.  I would like to try some different stiches. Someone suggested some couching of yarn. I think I will give it a try.

ABS stitching

Have you been thinking about the challenge? Have you been stitching on felt? What is your favourite stitch I should try?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Stitching Some Felt and a Frame

What a great invention Ann! It is tricky to hand stitch a piece of felt without an aid.

My favourite hand stitch on felt is the French Knot.

Very clever piecing for the frame, Ann. Did you mean the velcro holds the felt on or holds the PVC pipes together? When I stitch on felt, I don’t use a frame, rather my knees–which do work quite well. Only occasionally do I stitch the piece to my pants.
    My favorite stitch is couching, and I often lay down a thread and follow it as it takes me on a journey. Serendipity. French knots would be my second fave!

• Thanks Luvswool. The Velcro keeps the felt attached to the frame. I will try to take a better picture of it and post it in the daily dose of fiber on the felting and fiber studio forum.

It’s amazing how much just a simple stitch adds, isn’t it? 🙂 I like blanket stitch, but I enjoyed most of the ones I tried from take a Stitch Tuesday a couple of years ago, some were harder than others. I can never get chain stitch neat!

• Yes it really changes the look of things. I like blanket stitch for edging too. That’s a good idea, I will have to go rummage through the take a stitch Tuesday posts.

Great idea Ann! I usually just stitch with the piece on a counter standing up. I know that sounds weird but I can’t sit very long without my back hurting. And I can stitch at the store this way too. I agree with both Cathy and Lyn that French knots and couching are great stitches. I also like stem stitch and random fly stitches piled on top of each other for texture. I don’t usually make the stitch perfect like it is supposed to be but often make it wonky so it looks more like nature.

• Thanks. My back is fine its my knees. they don’t really like sitting or standing for long periods. I have to alternate. Fly stitch is small stiches going in random directions isn’t it? I will have to look it up. I haven’t tried stem stitch. I will look them up if I can’t find them in the take a stitch Tuesday section of the forum.

Very cool idea, Ann! I’m like Cathy and usually work on my lap unless its thin enough for a hoop, but I find that to be a pain sometimes, too. I like the couching stitch. I haven’t done a lot of embroidery in a while. But had started to practice again learning new stitches. I may have to try this frame.

• Thanks Marilyn. Couching is getting a lot of votes. The frame is working well. I have been going through and back. With couching I will probably I will probably work from the top.

6. Karen Lane says:

Your frame is a great idea! As for the stitches, my favourite is the Colonial Knot. It’s very much like the French Knot but I find it works perfect every time whereas my FK was always very hit and miss.

7. Pingback: Second Quarter Challenge finished …..I think. | feltingandfiberstudio