A Gift for My Husband

I got my husband a ceramic mug/glass for Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t have a handle though and when you put coffee in it, the mug is too hot to pick up or hold.

beloved cup

Since the purpose of the mug was for his coffee every morning, it made my gift not very practical. So felt to the rescue!

cozy resist web

I have made  a lot of felted cup cozies or sleeves but this needed a bit taller version. This is one of the resists that I usually use and generally, I lay the wool out to the edge of the lines. The top just happens to be curved because it was a scrap piece of foam that I used.

cozy layout web

Since I wanted this sleeve to be taller, I covered most of the resist, ignoring the lines.

cozy wet down web

Here’s how it looked after one layer of horizontal wool layout. I only did two layers all together.

cozy layout wet down web

And here is the wet down, finished layout. Now I needed to add a bit of embellishment but not too much since I didn’t want it to look “too girly”.

cozy circles added web

So I decided on some lime green circles. I just used roving and shaped it into different sized circles. It probably would have been more exact if I had made prefelt and then cut out the circles but I decided I didn’t want to take the extra time.

cozy felting web

Here it is after rubbing and felting and removing the resist. Still needs to be fulled down to size.

And here it is on the ceramic mug/glass. It’s a snug fit and works great for holding a hot drink now. The only issue is that the design on the mug no longer shows at all. Seems kind of silly to have purchased a mug for its design and then no longer being able to see it.

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to A Gift for My Husband

1. Marian Mills says:

It’s lovely Ruth and certainly practical. Maybe one day someone will breed sheep with transparent wool then we can make see through felt!

It’s lovely as well as practical Ruth – no point in him scalding his hands whilst trying to enjoy his hot drink! Perhaps, with summer coming, he may use it for a cold drink…then he will be able to enjoy the ceramic design.

3. dwrasebon says:

cool cozie. just wondered is there a reason for the curved resist ?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks – the curve at the top was just because that was the way the foam piece was shaped. I didn’t bother cutting off the curve. It is graduated from top to bottom because the mug is bigger at the top than the bottom even though you can’t see that well as the top is not round but slightly squished.

• dwrasebon says:

Thank you for your reply. I have only been felting since last summer. But I just want to felt all the time, not much else gets done!

4. dwrasebon says:

n how did u know how big to make resist in relation to mug, please.

• ruthlane says:

You have to know the shrinkage of the wool that you are using. If you haven’t learned about shrinkage yet, you might want to check out our Wet Felting for Beginners Class. It teaches you all about the basics and includes shrinkage.

My wool shrinks about 30% so I multiply by 1.4 and make the resist that much bigger than the cup.

5. zararooke says:

Or, you could see it as a mug with a secret message under the felted cozy. 😉

6. Teri Berry says:

Love the cosy! Could you make another with a similar design to the mug?

7. Alice Reidel says:

But it looks great!

Great idea not to scorch your hubby’s hands. I agree with Lyn, come summer a nice cold drink and then the message is revealed to all.

It looks really nice, Ruth 🙂 I like Teri’s idea, a nice challenge!

10. Great cup cozy. Definitely not too “girly”. This way he can admire the mug I summer and the cozy in the winter.