Upcoming Course Opportunities

For those of you in the northwest United States and Canada, I want to let you know about a couple of upcoming fiber art courses. I’m excited to announce that Gail Harker is coming back to Montana to teach Level 1 Experimental Machine Stitch. The course will be held May 18-22 in downtown Kalispell, Montana. The deadline to sign up is March 18th. If you are anywhere close, it will be a fun class so I hope you’ll join us.

The photo above shows one of the pieces I created in that class when I took it in 2009. Here is a PDF about the course:

Brochure_L1M_Montana

The other news is that I am planning on teaching at Olds Fibre Week in June in Olds, Canada (just north of Calgary). I have 5 classes on the schedule including nuno felting a scarf, wet felting a phone sleeve, wet felting a cup cozie, wet felting a cat cave and wet felting a pair of slippers. There are also some other really interesting looking classes on the schedule for spinners, weavers, natural dyers and a few more felting classes. Registration for Olds Fibre Week opens on March 8.

purple scarf layout web

In preparation for teaching, I have started making samples. This is the starting layout for a nuno felt scarf that has a bit of extra cobweb felt on each end.

purple scarf layout with embellishments

Here’s the layout after adding silk noil and ramie. I used merino and ramie from Big Sky Fiber Arts that Karen so generously gave me. I used a 5 mm silk scarf that I ice dyed about a month ago.

Here is the finished scarf. The top left photo shows the wool side and the top right shows the silk side. You can better see the ice dyeing effect on the silk side but it does show in person on the wool side as I laid the wool very sparingly to get more of a cobweb type effect over the entire scarf. The bottom two photos give you a closer view.

I do hope you’ll consider attending one of these courses. I’d love to see you there.

UPDATE: Due to unforeseen issues, I will not be teaching at Olds Fibre Week 2016 after all. There will be other felting classes available as well as spinning, weaving, knitting, dyeing etc. Hopefully, I will be able to teach there in 2017.

This entry was posted in Announcements, Stitching, Teaching, Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Upcoming Course Opportunities

Congrats on the teaching gigs, Ruth! The Olds Fiber Week in Canada looks like some kind of fun! Great and varied line-up of fiber classes. Scarf samples look good.

I wish I lived closer! Good luck with the classes, Ruth 🙂 Are you helping Gail again?

3. Karen says:

What a great line-up of classes, Ruth! It is so much fun to see you work with fibers from my store. Your scarf is beautiful!

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Karen – your fiber was wonderful and felted very easily so thanks again for your generous gift. You should take Gail’s class, I’m sure you would enjoy it and it’s well worth the investment.

• Karen says:

I would love to take Gail’s class! I will have to consult my check book!=) I would adore learning more about dyeing threads. It is great that you are assisting in having people like her come to the area.

4. eunice mctavish says:

I am going to try very hard to go to the Fiber Week at Olds. I have family close by and this will be another reason to visit. I would be interested in the slipper class as my experiments are rather disappointing. I am so looking forward to this.

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 07:33:10 +0000 To: mmctavish80@hotmail.com

5. Congratulations on the teaching gig. I am sure you will have a great time. I would love to get to the olds fiber week. I have heard great things about it.

Have fun with the teaching gig! Too bad I wasn’t closer.