Framing the Panda

Happy New Year everyone!

For the 4th Quarter Challenge I did a dimensional panda picture in monochrome.

20151024_160640

I  hung it on the wall in my bedroom which is also a shade of gray.

20151030_132929

Lyn suggested on the forum that I frame it.  I really liked the picture she posted. It really popped.  The mat was very narrow. I had a frame that fit it perfectly, but needed the right sized mat which unfortunately wasn’t a standard size. I’d have to have a custom mat made.

Lyns panda

Instead of paying for a custom frame and mat, I decided to try a standard size 16 x 20″ frame and a mat that was larger than the picture Lyn had posted.  Fortunately, the picture was just a little larger than the opening in the mat.

Here is the result.

20151121_154257 (1)

There may be too much white.  What do you think?  Should I invest in the smaller mat and frame? Or does the standard size work ok?

This entry was posted in Finishing/Framing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Framing the Panda

1. MCH says:

Do you know a framer you could ask what they think. Or you could paint the mat you’ve already got to a better colour.

But I do like the picture as it is.

The framing is lovely! On the grey wall I think you need that wider band of white. I hope you enjoy the happy panda for many years.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks for taking the time to show me the framed version it certainly inspired me to go the extra step! I love this picture and will probably move it to a more prominent place in the house for others to enjoy as well.

3. Jill says:

That’s Perfect! & it shows the panda picture off very well

4. Mary Stori says:

Super…..call it finished and enjoy!!!

Both views work for me. You have the necessary contrast , so enjoy what you have accomplished!

6. Teri Berry says:

I like it both ways but if you’re not sure, could cut a piece of black card as a sort of extra mat board to create a visual effect of the fame being larger?

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Teri! I’m happy with it, but was curious to know what my felting friends thought.

7. merielk says:

What a beautiful piece of work and inspiration.

8. Sylvia Lee says:

Both look good, but the standard size with more black background makes the Panda really stand out “front and center”!
    I guess I mean that it is more dramatic!
    Sylvia Lee

I agree with Sylvia, I think that the smaller amount of white mat really emphasizes the panda. I have found when I use a standard size mat and frame that doesn’t look “perfect” then I am disappointed later when I keep looking at it. I have one now that is bothering me and I will probably re-frame.

When I get home, I’ll have to look into a custom mat and perhaps try Teri’s suggestion first.

• Karen says:

I tend to agree with Ruth and Sylvia. Both frames work.But, I think this is a really lovely piece. It makes me happy to look at it. I think the twinkle in the Panda’s eye comes out just a bit more with the black frame. Given how lovely this picture is and that happy twinkle, I think the black frame might be the way to go. But, either way, it is really a wonderful picture!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Karen! I guess I’ll have to give it a try.

11. I like it with the larger white boarder with it being on a large grey space. Perhaps putting a black stripe all round halfway between the frame and the picture

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Ann! I guess I’ll be trying several variations. 🙂 thanks for the idea.

I really like the framing, I think it makes everything look more “professional,” if that makes sense. However, I would perhaps change the white to a light beige, to offset the brightness a little (but that’s me!)

• Leonor says:

And of course the panda is super adorable! What did you use for eyes?

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Leonor! You’re right the white is a little stark, but I didn’t have any other choice except black or red in the standard size. The eyes are gem stones usually used in floral or decorative vases.

• Leonor says:

How about painting it with acrylic paint? Or staining it with tea? 🙂

Oh, how interesting! I’ll have to look those up.

One final thought: I look at your panda and am reminded of King Fu Panda, and for some reason the scene that comes to mind is the one where his ‘father’ is proud because “my son had his first noodle dream!” It always cracks me up 😂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

It would probably be easier to take it to a framer. :-). I’ve never seen the Kung Fu Panda movies, but recently saw the trailer for the new one. My girl panda is cutier. 😉

It looks good framed, but you might just have to take it to a framers and try a few 🙂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Zed! Yes, so many choices. Right now we’re facing winter storms, so I think it will be a while. 🙂