Dyed Poppies

I recently wrote about this piece because I couldn’t get the blue dye to stay in my green mixtures for the leaves of the poppies. I solved that problem by adding Dye-Na-Flow paint.

Poppies with Wet Paint

This is what the piece looked like when the paint was first applied. I did add a bit more black paint to the centers after the green had dried. I heat set the paint with an iron and then washed the entire piece in the washing machined.

2 Yards of Poppies

This is nearly the entire piece. It is hard to take a photo of because it is so big. It is 2 yards of silk. And it finally has some green.

Poppies with Green

I haven’t decided what to do with the fabric. Perhaps make pillow covers? Any suggestions?

Poppies Close Up

I like how it turned out even though it took a bit longer than expected!

This entry was posted in Dyeing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Dyed Poppies

It’s really pretty – perhaps it could be cut and sewn into a summer sleeveless blouse? Or felted into a nuno’d shoulder wrap?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Lyn! It is too heavy a fabric to nuno felt. Otherwise I might have added green with wool 🙂 There is plenty of fabric for a blouse but I don’t know if my dress making skills (or lack thereof) will suffice.

That’s really nice, Ruth 🙂
    I was going to say it seems a shame to cut it up, do you have a doorway where you could use it, or window to catch the light? But I like Lyn’s idea of a blouse too.

• Lyn says:

At a window it would act a bit like stained glass wouldn’t it?

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Zed! I was actually considering a shower curtain in the guest bathroom. But I’m not sure I have quite enough yardage. I might need to add a border or something for that. It would be cool in a window though.

Good to know the problem got solved! But there’s still no idea why it happened in the first place, is there? How odd.

I’ve no idea what you could do with it, but I’m with Zed on that, it seems a pity to cut it into smaller sections…

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Leonor! I guess I will have to get another piece of this fabric and see if I can dye it blue or not. It was odd.

I will leave it for a while before I decide on it’s final purpose. I’ll let everyone know what I decide.

It turned out great Ruth. Wow, two yards. Pillow covers sound nice. How about cafe curtains for a small sunny window? If you didn’t have enough, you could use the silk as the accent with a solid color. Let us know what you decide.

5. Angie Norton says:

Your dyed piece is very pretty. I like the shape of the poppies quite a bit. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do with that lovely yardage. 🙂

6. It is lovely, I would like it in a window but I like most things in a window. it would be a luxury shower curtain.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Ann – yes, it would be a very “high class” shower curtain. It would just be the outer layer, I would have it with another plastic curtain behind it.

7. Pingback: Completing Another UFO | feltingandfiberstudio