A Trip to Visit a Felting Friend

This week I spent some time visiting my friend Maureen of Dreamspin Fibres.  It’s nice to felt with a friend.

I decided to make a project bag for a spindle, so long and thin. I used this lovely rust, terracotta and brown variegated wool.

wool for spindle bag

Here I am laying out the wool. I did 4 layers.

spindle bag laying out wool

After 3 layers I added some thick felt for some texture.

spindle bag laying texturespindle bag laying texture plus wool

Then some leaves in various colours of prefelt. One was a solid colour and 2 were multicoloured off cuts from some prefelt that Maureen dyed. I cut the handle and flap out of the top and cut the bottom off so I can make the bottom nice and flat. I will sew in another piece of matching felt.

spindle bag leaf embelishments spindle bag cut open

And here it is drying. I think it will make a great spindle bag.

finished bag

Next time I will have more pictures of what we made, but for now its late on Thursday night and it has been a long day with driving home so I am off to bed.

This entry was posted in Design, Experiments, Felt bags, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A Trip to Visit a Felting Friend

1. what a lovely bag to carry your spindle about! x

Wonderful colours and I like the leaf pattern. It’s a perfect bag for the job!

Those colours are gorgeous together, Ann, the bag looks great 🙂

4. Dianne Murphy says:

Thanks for the great idea -just got myself a spindle so will have to make one. I am friends with Maureen as well -wish I could have joined in but live way too far away

Sent from my iPad

5. Marilyn Nelson says:

Great spindle bag Ann! Nice rich colors and great texture. It’s always fun to felt with friends!

Ann – this is wonderful. I love the colors and it is a great idea to carry your spindle about with you so you can spin at the drop of a hat 🙂

The colors are terrific and the bag is a great shape, with or without the spindle! (BTW, is that for a drop spindle?)

• Thank you Luvswool, yes it’s for a drop spindle and the fiber. You should be able to leave the fiber in the bag and spin, similar to a wrist distaff.

8. Angie Norton says:

I really like the colors in the roving. Did you dye it or is it available at Dreamspin?

• That colour is called terra rosa and they do not make it anymore. There was a matching silk as well that they do not make anymore. It came from treetops in Australia and they are called harmonies. If you really want some there might be a dealer with some left. if you are in North America outback fibers still has it listed.

9. Angie Norton says:

Thanks! I’m in the US. I’ll check out Outback.

10. Sandra Zahn says:

Thank you for sharing. I don’t know anyone in my area that felts so theses sort of things really help. I want to make an iPad so this is great.