Scarves

Just before the end of last year, I made a few scarves that I didn’t get chance to post about. The first one was a present for my sister’s birthday. I took the inspiration for the colours from a previous scarf I made, which was blue and purple. I blended up equal amounts of blue, purple and green 18.5 mic Merino on my drum carder. I can’t remember now how many times I put the batts through, I think it was only once because I wanted random variegation. This is the back of the scarf:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI added some silk top to the front:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd I just like the way this photo looks πŸ™‚

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI used what was left of the batts and added some more blue, purple and green, with a lot more green so I could make a scarf for my dad. You might remember the batt. I used some to make a nuno sample (which is now my nuno collar which I wear when I go out, though it looks more like a foppish cravat!) When I weighed it, there wasn’t enough for a scarf, so I had to blend up some more Merino. Even though I only needed about 10 grams to be on the safe side, I had to recreate the stages of the other one to get a similar blend. I think it’s my favourite one so far:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAHere’s a close up

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOne thing I noticed while carding the batts, was that the more the wool/batts were carded, or re-carded, the more I got soft little nepps appearing. I did pick a few out, but it wasn’t easy so I left them, hoping they wouldn’t be a problem since they were so soft. It might be my imagination because I certainly can’t feel them, but there definitely seems to be more texture on this scarf. I think the light here caught it just right:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI liked the way this photos looks too, I’d just casually dropped the scarf on the table and it folded like this:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Scarves and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Scarves

1. Judy says:

Good Day Zed. The scarf you made for your Sister and Dad are fantastic. … The colors you blended to create the batt are truly beautiful…

Wonderful blending Zed! Gorgeous colours (and your edges are really neat!). Two scarves of which to be very proud.

I love them both. I never worry about those soft nepps and I do think they add more texture.

Fab job on the scarves, Zed! They look so luxurious, so soft with a nice sheen. I don’t have a carder, so I have never experienced the soft nepps problem, but I don’t think it would bother me.

Thanks, Cathy πŸ™‚
      The 18.5 mic Merino really is shiny, you’d think there was something blended in. Until recently, I mostly blended batts especially for texture, so I wouldn’t have noticed. I don’t suppose they’re ‘nepps’ really, more like tiny bobbles of fluff, and they definitely add character!

Two beautiful scarves zed. πŸ™‚

I love these scarfs, Zed! They do look very soft and cosy πŸ™‚

Silly question: you make them this shape from the beginning, right? You don’t cut them to size because you get curly edges or something (like I do in my pathetic attempts to wet felt), right? πŸ™‚

Thanks, Leonor πŸ™‚
      Apparently my dad was showing everyone his scarf.
      Yeah, I draw a template on scrap paper (Amazon packaging!) and lay out what I want to make. I’ve never been good with cut edges, they always look wobbly to me. The first thing I do after it’s all wet down is work on the edges, pushing all the stray fibres in the same direction and then stroking/pulling towards the felt.

• Leonor says:

Ah! I find (good) cut ends are harder to do that working them whilst wet, but not by much πŸ™‚

7. Always love the way your blend your colors

8. Marilyn Nelson says:

Gorgeous scarves Zed! The blends are wonderful. Great job!

9. Great scarves Zed. the more times you put it through more breakage you get. That causes the soft blobs. Ff you start with fleece you get more because when they make top they comb out all the short bits and nepps.