A Colorful Rooster

I know a rooster seems like an odd choice for a felt picture.  But I had seen a picture of this Dutch Bantam Rooster and I was intrigued.  The colors are vibrant and cheerful.

It took me a while to work up the courage and the process to try to capture this beautiful creature in felt.

First, I made two merino batts to use as a background.  One for the ground, one for the sky.  I laid them over a batt of Coopsworth fiber as a base.

batts

Then I cut out a prefelt backing for the rooster and the comb. I needle felted the head and  different colored feathers. The eye is a small garnet inclusion.

Rooster layout

When it was finished, I placed it on the background.  Since I wanted the rooster to be the star, I didn’t add a lot of detail only some different color fibers to give a feel of flowing tall grasses.

before felting

I was careful not to over full it.  I wanted the whole picture to have a hazy feel to it which would also help keep a feathery effect of the rooster.

2014-11-10 16.24

Once it was done drying,  I did some more needle felting to give it dimension and added a few more details on the grasses.

2014-11-13 16.13

If you’ve noticed that there is a lot of area around the rooster, its because I was thinking of putting it over a stretcher bars or canvas.  What do you think?

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to A Colorful Rooster

That’s gorgeous, Marilyn 🙂
    I like the space around the rooster. Was it luck or on purpose the darker patch by him, it looks like a subtle shadow.

2. Sally says:

Very cute, well done.

Very well done, Marilyn! I see you are becoming an expert in using various felting methods, which I find fascinating. You might find reversed needles interesting for this sort of project, they take wool out instead of in, which means you can get more of a “feathery” effect… Have you tried them?

PS – I owe you a lengthy message, and it shall arrive soon! Christmas is killing me 🙂

• luvswool says:

Have never heard of reversed needles, Leonor…can you send us a link?

• Leonor says:

Sure! Would you mind sending me a message reminding me to look? I’m not on my computer right now and I might forget 🙂

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Leonor! I haven’t heard of reserved needles either. Sounds intriguing. Don’t worry about a message I’m traveling!
      Btw, everyone should come back tomorrow for another Birthday drawing.

4. nanacathy2 says:

He is lovely. I made a cushion with a felt cockerel on it but before I had started to make felt myself so mine was felt applique.

5. Mary Stori says:

I agree with your idea to place the piece on stretcher bars…….which in my humble opinion will help ‘frame’ it even more than the space around the rooster…..providing a polished looking finished piece. Really well done!

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Mary! I left space around it so I could frame it either over a canvas or stretcher bars. I haven’t done any framing like that yet, so we’ll see how it goes.

What a handsome fellow! The colors are great. Can’t wait to see your rooster framed.

7. This was quite a challenge and he is the star, all right.

8. Charlotte ashley says:

This is amazing! I love the simplicity of it! I think a light beech frame would be lovely 🙂 well done!

9. Joanna says:

LOVE it!

10. Judy says:

Hello Marilyn, he is certainly a very proud and colorful rooster. I think the extra detail you did with needle felting really is a very nice addition..

You did a grand job! I like the twinkly eye and I think he should be framed.

I’ve never heard of the reversed needles either.

• Marilyn aka Pandagirl says:

Thanks Lyn! You know got have a little bling, besides he’s a rooster. 🙂 a little twinkle I’d think would be appropriate.

12. I think he came out great. He will look really nice framed and hanging up. My mom has a big rooster picture in her breakfast nook.

Great rooster Marilyn. One way to test to see whether you would like the rooster without as much space around him is to make some “croppers”. Just cut out L shaped pieces of white paper that will fit around the rooster like a matt and you can “crop” the picture to see where you like it best. You could also use Photoshop to do this visually. I find it really helps to see how it will look before you invest in framing options.

Thanks Ruth! Great idea to use the L corners to check it first,. I’ll definitely do that.

15. Pingback: I’ve Been Framed | feltingandfiberstudio