Teeswater and Needle Felting

I know the last post I did about natural wools and fibres featured Viscose as well, but after Ruth’s post about Wensleydale, I thought I’d show a piece that I’d made using ‘curly’ wool too, though this is Teeswater. I do have some raw Teeswater locks that I bought from Sara’s Texture Crafts, but for this I just used commercial Teeswater tops. Tops can be quite deceiving as it isn’t always obvious what the characteristics of the wool are, and they often all look quite similar. Until they’re felted that is. You don’t get quite the same results as using washed and combed or carded wool, but a lot of the features do ‘come back’ once the wool has been wet. By hand,ย  I blended some black viscose in with the Teeswater tops for the top layer.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWhere the wool and fibre are blended well it has a greyish look to it.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd some parts are a bit more defined.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the back of the piece, I just love the look of felt like this ๐Ÿ™‚

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERADoing a needlefelted piece for Marilyn’s Monet Challenge got me in the mood for doing some more. So far I’ve wet felted the backgrounds for 3 pieces, and finished one of them. I played around with a photo I took a few years ago at the beach in Crosby, not far from Liverpool:

Then I needle felted a piece based on it:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in natural wools, Needle Felting, Wet Felting, Wool and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Teeswater and Needle Felting

1. josiedb says:

I like what you did with black and white here. I always find it hard to work with these 2 colors due to migration of black through white. Does needle felting work better in this aspect? Any tips from you will help.

Thanks, Josie ๐Ÿ™‚
      Hmm, I don’t really know how you could avoid migration using black over white or vice versa. I wouldn’t use them together for that reason. Unless it was some kind of pattern and you could layout your underneath layers according to what is on top if that makes sense? All the shades I used on the needlefelted piece were blended, even the ‘white’ parts, have some grey/blue in.

That’s a really attractive black and white picture! The teeswater felts beautifully and I agree with you about liking the back.

I like Teeswater locks too, very similar to Wensleydale, but not so long. The black viscose background makes those curls stand out.

I like your Crosby beach pic. too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, Judith ๐Ÿ™‚
      My Teeswater locks are at least twice as long as my Wensleydale ones, some are close to 20 inches! I haven’t compared staple length on the tops, though ๐Ÿ™‚

Lovely beach scene, Zed, and I do adore the neutrals. Makes me want to pull out some old black and white photos I took in the 80’s and get to workโ€ฆhave never worked with Teeswater or Wensleydaleโ€ฆlooks challenging!

Thanks, Cathy ๐Ÿ™‚
      Not challenging at all, it felts quite quickly and easily, really.

Lovely picture Zed. I’ve never actually worked with the teeswater other than to make samples. I did try making a cobweb table scarf with the Wensleydale , but haven’t attempted a landscape with either. I’ll have to try them in a scene.

I can’t remember if I have ever had any Teeswater or not. It looks lovely. I love the combination of black and white and the texture is wonderful. Your scene is wonderful. I have always liked using the natural wool colors to make a scene. I have made several but none lately. Yours is an inspiration ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks a lot, Ruth ๐Ÿ™‚
      I have enjoyed needle felting, I know I’m not very good at copying, but it’s nice doing vague impressions.

7. I love the long curly wools too. The picture came out really well. I haven’t even got an idea yet for the challenge.

Thanks, Ann ๐Ÿ™‚
      Maybe you could make a scarf or wrap in Monet colours, or make a waterlily brooch/pin?

8. Just brilliant. I love the look. The colors and texture reminded me of Niagara Falls.

Zed, I’ve been searching for some inspiration for the Monet challenge, and you’ve offered some great ideasโ€ฆhmmm, haven’t made a scarf in awhile…