First Quarter Challenge 2014

We have decided that this year for the challenges, that we will have a central theme and base all the challenges on that theme. The theme for 2014 will be famous artists. This does not necessarily mean that we will be picking our favorite artist but perhaps an artist that we would like to learn more about. Or maybe one that we think will be able to be interpreted fairly easily in fiber. So each quarter, we will name the artist and the challenge will be to create something in the spirit of that artist. You don’t have to “copy” one piece exactly but the feel of whatever you create should be in that artist’s style. You are free to interpret that artist’s work however you would like. It also might be fun to take a few minutes and learn a little about that artist’s life, history and what they have contributed to the art world.

Jackson Pollock “action painting”,

I have chosen Jackson Pollock for the first quarter challenge. Jackson Pollock was an American painter, and is possibly the leading force behind the abstract expressionist movement in the art world. The photos used here and the information about Jackson are from http://www.jackson-pollock.org. There are several other websites about Jackson Pollock as well as lots of photos of his work when you search images.

Convergence by Jackson Pollock

When I was growing up, my mother always got us a jigsaw puzzle at Christmas time to put together as a family. One year, we got a puzzle of one of Jackson Pollock’s “poured” paintings. I don’t remember how many pieces it had but it was over 500 pieces. It was probably the hardest jigsaw puzzle we ever put together. So hard, that after it was together, my mom covered it with some type of glue and hung it on the wall.  I think the puzzle was based on ‘Convergence’. If you check out the Jackson Pollock site, there is a puzzle that you can try out. It took me 7 minutes and 41 seconds to do (with a few interruptions) so see if you can do better.

The Deep by Jackson Pollock

I didn’t know much about Pollock before I decided to pick him for the challenge. It sounds like he had a hard life, struggling with alcoholism and dyeing at the age of 44 in a drunk driving accident. His most well-known work is in an abstract style and used a ‘drip and splash’ technique. Pollock said “It is only when I lose contact with the painting that the result is a mess. Otherwise there is pure harmony, an easy give and take, and the painting comes out well.” And also, “On the floor I am more at ease. I feel nearer, more part of the painting, since this way I can walk around it, work from the four sides and literally be in the painting.”

Full Fathom Five by Jackson Pollock

One of the reasons that I picked Pollock was because I thought that he could be interpreted well in felt. Of course, you don’t have to make a felt piece to enter the challenge. You can use any media that you would like. If you do create a piece for the challenge, you can either post it on the forum, Flickr or contact us and we will feature your entry here on the blog. We would really love to see what you come up with and I hope you’ll enjoy challenge.

This entry was posted in Challenges and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to First Quarter Challenge 2014

What a good idea for the year!

2. Amanda says:

This is right up my street, time to dust off the cobwebs and get felting!

I love Jackson Pollock! Great choice, Ruth 🙂

4. Nada says:

I don’t like abstract painting but Pollock’s style offers itself to felt making. Perhaps I will have a go and do something.

5. Great choice, his work is full emotion and energy. It makes me think of someone dancing to their inner tune. It should be easy for you Zed many of your works remind me of Pollock’s style. Ruth I will have to have a real look around before picking the artist for my quarter. My first thought was Monet but that is to obvious. I hope I can find someone that is not so well known to me.

6. Teri Berry says:

Excellent choice of artist Ruth! I’m already brimming with ideas and itching to play but I must show some self control and finish my City and Guilds work first. Can’t wait to see what you come up with… 🙂

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Teri – Perhaps your City and Guilds work could be in the style of Pollock? I used to try and combine my class work with challenges if at all possible 🙂

7. Marilyn Nelson says:

Great choice! This should be fun!

Zed will excell at this one!

9. lizseville says:

This one appeals greatly!

10. jane dolan says:

Interesting concept for the challenges, it is always good learning more about different Artists, off to research Pollock 🙂

• ruthlane says:

Jane – I hope everyone finds it interesting. I do like learning more about artists and how they worked -always learn something new.

What a great idea! I’ve been seeking motivation and this looks like it will fill the bill!

Absolutely, but I will need to study your tips on adding photos first–that is, after I finish the project!

13. I agree entirely with luvswool…I love the idea of being set a challenge so this will give me something to really focus on.

14. jakk54 says:

checking out his work, I know he is an energetic artist, I’m wondering I can be an energetic feltist!! I’m looking forward to seeing what comes out of this challenge – sleeves rolled up 🙂

15. craftywoman says:

that last comment was actually mine, but hubby was logged on and I didn’t realise

• ruthlane says:

Craftywoman – well we’ll let your hubby join in too if he’d like 😉 I hope that the challenge does make you more energetic and I’m looking forward to seeing your results.

16. craftywoman says:

I’ve been taken over by Jackson Pollock and have one piece ready (I think) but where do I post it? I’ve been onto the forum and I can’t find the place 🙂

• ruthlane says:

Sorry – I just went on the forum and started a thread under studio challenges. You can post it there. I can’t wait to see what you came up with.

17. Pingback: Creating Pictures… | Lincs In Stitches

18. Pingback: First Quarter Challenge 2014 – Lyn’s Entry | feltingandfiberstudio

19. Pingback: Drawstring Bag and Not a Jackson Pollock | feltingandfiberstudio