Making a Cat Cave

With all my cat item related posts lately, you’d think I have a cat. But no, two small dogs that don’t like cats. The cat toys I make to sell and I recently made a cat cave to give my sister for Christmas. She has a new cat and requested a cat cave. Her cat is still a kitten but is supposed to get fairly big so I wanted to make a good sized cave. Ann has done a how to post about making cat caves if you’d like further ideas.

ResistI started with a resist made from floor underlayment. That is a Sharpie pen in the middle to give a little bit of scale.

Working Inside Out

I usually like to work inside out when I use a flat resist. So this is the embellishment layer that will be on the outside when I finish the cave.

EmbellishmentsThe embellishments were mainly nepps and curls in grey and white. I used a variety of fibers including Icelandic, Gotland and Merino.

Black Wool Layer

I then added a couple of layers of black wool which was a mix of merino and mixed 56’s. I wet the black down and then progressed to the white layer that will be the inside of the cave.

Adding White LayerHere’s the white layer after it is partially complete. I ended up doing 5 layers in total. The white wool is mixed 56’s.

Beginning to FeltI then wet the whole thing down, rolled and rubbed like crazy. The felt is starting to come together in this photo.

Using a wooden rollerI used this rolling stick to work it over a bit too. This was originally meant to be a curtain rod and has nice grooves in it to work the felt. I then cut a hole and removed the resist. Fulling in the sink and beating it around quite a bit to stiffen it up. I forgot to take any photos at that point, sorry.

Shrinkage

Here’s the cat cave after finishing the fulling process. I put it on top of the original resist so you could see how much it shrunk. After I spun the water out of it, I stuffed it with towels and blankets to dry.

Finished CaveHere’s the finished cat cave. I almost forgot to take photo before I sent it off to my sister’s house.

Will the cat fit?Now the only question is will the cat fit in this hole? I didn’t want to make the hole really big and I guess she can always enlarge the hole if need be. Have you made any gifts this year? We’d love to see what you’ve made. You can post your photos on Flickr or on the forum.

This entry was posted in Wet Felting and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Making a Cat Cave

It’s a lovely cat cave and the randomly placed embellishments have made a very pretty pattern.

2. That turned out great Ruth. They weigh a lot when they are wet don’t they. It makes for a real workout. I am sure her cat will love it. Mine seem to squeeze themselves into some awfully small boxes when they want to.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Ann – It weighed a ton and yes, it was quite a workout getting it fulled. I’m sure the cat will be able to squeeze in there. She can always open it up more if she wants.

That is brilliant, Ruth! I was just thinking it must weigh a lot when it’s wet 🙂 I hope the cat likes it.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Zed – I hope the cat likes it too. It was really heavy and reminded me of felting the big yurt pieces this summer. Perhaps I should work on something smaller now 🙂

4. Marilyn Nelson says:

Looks great Ruth. I can only imagine what a challenge it was to full it. Yes, I think you’re entitled to some smaller projects. You’ve certainly tackled major ones this year!

5. Rodrigo says:

Ruth, How much grams did you use for this???

• ruthlane says:

Sorry but I didn’t measure it. I would say thought that it weighs at least one pound which is 400+ grams. It was really big and actually didn’t need to be that big.

6. Paula says:

Great idea!

7. Judy Gudeman says:

I really would love a couple of these for my cats. Where do you get the roving? I’m looking for larger amounts that the 2 oz in the craft store! I have 10 and 13 lb cats.

Also: Did you flip the cave right-side-out when you removed the stay? Thanks very much.

• ruthlane says:

I buy my wool in bulk at RHLindsay online. If you’re in Europe, I would try World of Wool.

I did flip the cave right side out after I removed the resist.

8. Judy Gudeman says: