Craft Fair and some new pieces

I did my first craft fair on Saturday. It was only a small one, the nice people at the LGBT Centre in Manchester asked me if I’d like to take a few things to sell between the Carol Service and Christmas Dinner at their Festive Funday. For the past couple of weeks I’ve done a lot of blanket stitching, a lot of printing and a lot of cutting out of tags and business cards. And who’d have thought writing and attaching tags could take a whole day?!
I didn’t think to ask what size the table would be and not knowing which items might be popular, I decided to take pretty much everything I’ve ever made! Ann talked about getting ready for a show a few weeks ago, well I don’t drive, so I have to walk or get public transport everywhere, so over the last couple of years I’ve relied on my ‘granny trolley’ to cart things about:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAUsing a shoe box, old toaster box and a couple of smaller cardboard boxes, I managed to fit in: 7 x A5 Diaries/notebooks;Β  8 x A6 notebooks; 3 x iPad/gadget cases; 10 x camera cases; 6 x glasses cases; 4 x credit card cases/pouches; 9 x coin pouches;Β  7 x coin purses/wallets; 2 x mirror cases; 2 x ring pouches; 4 x placemats/coasters; 23 bookmarks; 4 x felt pieces; 2 x shoulder bags and a woolly vessel. I think I took too many things! This is one of the diary covers I finished in time for the fair:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is an iPad case. I was going to use the felt for a diary cover, but it didn’t shrink as much as I expected, so I searched online for the dimensions of the most popular tablets and made this. It has rainbow felt on the front and back and also a piece of neoprene stitched to the back:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is another piece of felt I made last week. I made two the same, and sold one at the fair:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIt was a great experience doing the fair and I met so many nice people and got lots of compliments. Although it was only on for about an hour I managed to sell more things than I have in the last 9 months on etsy πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Fairs and Shows, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Craft Fair and some new pieces

Oooh, I like the ‘rainbow’ ipad cover and I’m glad it went well.

Don’t knock the granny trolley – I used one for years to cart back my shopping from the supermarket and without it I would have knackered my arms and shoulders!

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      Yeah, I used to have two huge bags, one on each shoulder, that trolley really is very useful!

2. Really glad that you got paid off for all your hard work. I used to do craft fairs when I was much younger and I always enjoyed them. But, yes, they were a lot of work. It is easier to sell at craft fairs than it is at art shows.

3. Bravo and congratulations for your first public/retail experience! Nothing beats meeting your customers and seeing their reactions to ones work! Although it may be a lot of work, a successful sale may be a great energiser for new ideas and projects. Not to forget also, money for new supplies! πŸ™‚

Thanks, Fleur πŸ™‚
      The money was certainly nice! It was nice to meet people and see others’ interest too.

4. Marilyn Nelson says:

Everything looks wonderful. I’m glad you had such a good experience. The granny trolley looks perfect for having to transport to a show. I hope you have the opportunity to do more shows, sell more merchandise and build a good customer base! This was a great start. Well done!

Thanks, Marilyn πŸ™‚
      The other good thing about fitting everything into the trolley is knowing I can just get a train with it and can go further afield without trying to get a lift.

5. lizseville says:

Well done. It takes a lot to get it all together. I guess you never know exactly how much you will need. I like these two pieces but especially the rainbow cover.

6. I’m so glad you shared this with us. I used to do fairs and show with my artwork, it got to be too much for me! I love the idea of ‘just’ filled the trolley and that’s it. So glad you made a profit too! I want to set up an etsy shop one of these days. And it is great to meet people face to face and chat about what they like, let them know you’re local etc.

7. I am glad you enjoyed it and that you sold some things. It can be stressful getting ready but if you work at your things all year you have lots to take. You may find some other fairs close to you next year. Check on line and see if you can find last years event lists for community groups, centers and neighbourhoods.

Thanks, Ann πŸ™‚
      I did try a few times throughout the year to find out about fairs/markets etc, I really didn’t have any luck. Etsy Manchester was suggested to me, so I’ll keep a close eye on that, I would like to do more.

Zed – well done! You are an excellent packer to get all that stuff put in your trolley. And it looks perfect for the job. Did you get any photos of your table set up? Glad your sales were good and hopefully, if you find some more sales venues, you will make a profit soon πŸ™‚

Thanks, Ruth πŸ™‚
      No, I didn’t get any photos. It was really busy. I can only try, can’t I? πŸ™‚

9. wendy says:

Well done on the craft fair! I’ve done a few, all but one were a flop so I’m done with all that!

Thanks, Wendy πŸ™‚
      Sorry you haven’t had better experience, hopefully my next one won’t put me off doing more!

10. Pingback: 2013 Review | feltingandfiberstudio