More Bamboo and a Couple of Diaries

It was bright enough yesterday to take some photos of one of the other bamboo pieces I worked on over the last few weeks. This piece was made mostly from English 56’s, the base was two layers, then I added some thick twists to the top to help define the ridges I wanted. I added 2 very fine layers of 18.5 mic merino over the top, then positioned some black bamboo over the raised parts where the twists were. When it was almost felted, I folded it concertina style, secured with sewing thread and finished felting by rubbing, and rolling one end at a time to get a twist in it. It’s about 8 inches long.
This is the back:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis is the front:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAClose up of the texture on the inside of the back:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd close up of the bamboo:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI’ve mostly spent the past week getting ready for the Craft Fair this coming Saturday (it’s at the LGBT Centre on Sidney Street, Manchester if you’re in the area!) I’ve printed tags and business cards and have made and cut out felt for 5 Diary covers. I’ve only got 2 finished so far, but it takes about 8 hours just to position/reposition/double check the closure straps, and then blanket stitch around them and all the edges (I’m up to episode 24 of Prisoner Cell Block H!) This is an orange one that I finished first:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAnd this is a green one I finished yesterday:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThanks for all the tips last week about fairs and markets πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Experiments, Stitching, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to More Bamboo and a Couple of Diaries

Love the twisted one zed, it looks like a shell. πŸ™‚

2. Yes, I think it looked a little like a leaf or shell. Really beautiful diaries.

3. Marilyn Nelson says:

I really love the bamboo shell. The diaries should be a big hit at the fair – great colors! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

The ‘shell’ is fantastic! Love it.

Your diaries should go really well – don’t forget to advertise them as ideal Christmas gifts!

Thanks, Lyn πŸ™‚
      I should probably print out a few more labels so it’s obvious which are diaries and notebooks.

I too think it looks like a shell. It is gorgeous. How big is it? Your notebooks are always wonderful and these two are no exception πŸ™‚

6. lizseville says:

I love the shell. These sculptural pieces you are producing are really interesting. And your notebooks very desirable …

7. The shell would make a great ornament to hang in the window. And the book covers a lovely as always.

8. Pingback: Texture | feltingandfiberstudio