A Fingerless Mitt Experiment

Christmas is coming so I am still working on fingerless mitts for my guild sale the first weekend in November. One of my scarves made the poster.

OVWSGposter2012-3-400

I decided to try an experiment with a couple of pairs of Mitts. I wanted to make long cuts to reveal another colour.  I wrapped some shrink tubing and some regular tubing like you might use in a fish tank in some wool. I gave it a quick felt to get the wool tight around the tube. I thought this might be the best way to keep the fibers where I wanted them. I placed them between the layers of the mitts.

tubes collage

It worked really well.  After I cut the felt and took the tubes out I steamed them and opened up the slits. They are purple and pink and pink and purple but the cameras seems to think the purple is blue. I think it is because the wool of the table is so yellow.

purple and pink pink and purple

This is what they look like on. Sorry the pictures are bad I had to take it on my own arm.

purple and pink on pink and purple on

They turned out really well . I think I could have used less wool around the inclusions. I think I might felt them more next time too.

the other thing I did recently was make a matching set of hat and mitts. I added some silk to both, scrunching it  up to make it very textured. One small part didn’t stick down properly on the hat and will need a couple of stitches.

gray hat and mitts

I have more hats on the go and need to do some scarves before the sale but I think things are going well so far. Have you tried anything new recently?

This entry was posted in Design, Experiments, Felted Hats, Nuno Felting, Uncategorized, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to A Fingerless Mitt Experiment

1. lizseville says:

Clever technique for the mitts!

The matching mitts and hat are fantastic! I love the texture and colour combo.

The plastic tube worked a charm for the cutaway feature – good invention – and a neat design feature.

3. Marilyn Nelson says:

Very neat technique for the mitts. They all look great! I’m sure they will be popular at the guild sale. Good luck!

4. koffipotk says:

I love the texture on the grey hat and mitts. What a good idea! 🙂

They all turned out really well 🙂 The matching hat and mitts have great texture. I have black, white and grey fabric, and beige hardboard for taking photos on, it’s hard to get accurate photos!

• Thanks Zed. I do need to get some backgrounds to take pictures against. I was doing it fast at the end of the process.

It is a pain though, because they always get wrinkled or covered in fibres, I’m always having to use those lint rollers on mine 🙂

The tubing worked great. I’ll have to try that idea. Good luck on the sales.

7. Karen says:

They look gorgeous Ann, I could have used some mitts like that this year lol good luck with your sales xoxo