Mixed Media Piece From Felt Scraps

Last year I was talking about sorting my felt and fibre scraps into categories. I sorted my felt offcuts by size ranging from long and wide to short and narrow. This photo shows them. I was trying to work out what to do with the smallest pieces. I wondered how it’d look if I just pushed them close together on top of a piece of fabric and sewed them into place. So, I tried. I started in the centre with some red pieces, and they worked alright, so I added more. I kept to similar colours and added some pieces of fabric too because I liked how the nuno felt pieces looked. I also added some art yarns for a bit more texture. I kept adding and sewing until the red section was done, then I worked on the blue part and did the green part last. When it was finished it looked like this:

mixed mediaI kept turning it around, folding it, measuring it. I made sure the piece of fabric I worked on was big enough for a book cover, but the finsihed piece was too thick for that. I turned it over, folded it again and measured a bit more, then decided I could make a book cover out of it if I cut it and used different felt for the inside flaps. So, more measuring, hunting for felt and sewing of felt to fabric. This is what the inside looked like before I’d quite finished the bottom edge:

insideAnd, this is what it looked like once all the edges were finished:

outsideI’m not sure whether I prefer it with the red part on the front:

redOr whether I like the blue better:

blueI had quite a good sized piece left over, and I actually really like the green part the best, so I thought I’d use it for a gadget/camera/phone case. This is one side:

frontAnd this is the other:

backI don’t feel so odd now for saving all the tiniest bits of felt scraps ‘just in case’  🙂

This entry was posted in Experiments, Mixed Media, Stitching, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Mixed Media Piece From Felt Scraps

1. Really beautiful color and texture. I made phone pouches with a cord to put around your neck. It looks like a necklace. I put a lot of beading on the front. I also use it as a small purse to carry my credit cards, along with my cell phone. I even sell them. So many uses for scraps.

Thanks, Judy 🙂
      I did think about making a couple of small credit card cases, but I’ve just made a few of those out of felt. It would have made a nice glasses case was just a bit too small.

2. Dorothy Beasley says:

Really like the blue side. Is the felt pre-felt pieces or are they raw wool. I love that idea. Will have to try a small project.

Thanks, Dorothy 🙂
      The felt pieces are all just offcuts from finished felt, some made with surface embellishments, some just coloured. I used some thick and thin commercial synthetic yarn which looks a lot like pencil roving, but I didn’t use raw wool or unfelted tops.

3. Marilyn says:

It is a great use of scraps. Recycling at it’s best! I’m someone who never throws anything away so it gives me hope for finding a use for all those odds and ends. The texture reminds me of the (please don’t take this the wrong way) old fashioned “rag rugs” my great Aunt used to make. Your cases are truly creative. You have a great eye color mixing colors and textures. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot, Marilyn 🙂
      Yes, it does look like rag rugs, doesn’t it?! I love rag-rugs, I have loads of them and would make them if I could, so art that looks like them is fine with me 🙂

• Marilyn Nelson says:

I’m glad you love them. They really are full of texture treasures.

What a great use for scraps. The green case is my favorite, It think. No need to feel “odd” about saving scraps, I’m sure you’ll find a uses for all of them eventually.

“Waste not want not” at its best. Lovely textures, and they do look a bit like rag rugs, which are often very beautiful.

Green is my favourite too! I reckon you did a good job with those scraps.

7. lizseville says:

What kind of machine do you use for your stitchery or is it mostly by hand?

The stitching on this was done on my machine. It’s an ‘E & R Classic’ model NT22. It was half price at Tescos a few years ago (about £35) my mum bought it and gave it to me last year. I mainly use it for attaching the back pocket of purses but it has been great for making collages and stitching felt with zigzags 🙂

8. lizseville says:

Thanks. I do think this is a very interesting textural result. I also like the green most of all.

Yeah, me too 🙂
      I think this is the closest I’ll get to any kind of weaving, and I think it has a lot of possibilities.

9. lizseville says:

I guess you could do this kind of thing with an embellishing machine but the stitches add something.

I bet that would look good, too 🙂
      I think the stitches have created a definite zig-zag effect on the felt that you might not be able to recreate on the embellisher so easily.

• lizseville says:

And it would have less texture that way.

Yeah, that’s true because these pieces aren’t secured along their edges, so they are raised up, and the loose ends add extra texture.

10. terripike says:

Zed, this is inspirational! I love that!

11. I like the blue the best and it does have a great rag rug feel you just need to make a bigger one and you will have a rug. A great use of scraps. I keep mine too.

Thanks, Ann 🙂
      I like the idea, but I don’t think my machine could take it! I broke about 3 needles and had to take the bobbin socket out to clean, just for this small piece 🙂

• Sounds like you need to keep your eye open for an old machine. the older the better. they used to build them to last. if you can find a treadle that was converted to power they will go through anything. i have one I could give you but I think the shipping would kill us both. 😦

We used to have a couple of treadle Singers, I think my sisters claimed them.

12. Karen says:

They look really great Zed, awesome texture and my favourite is the green as well, your a clever little munchkin aren’t you lol