I Did Some Weaving

This week end I did something I claim not to like, weaving.  What I really mean is I don’t like what most people think of as weaving, on a table or floor loom. I don’t like getting the warp ready and putting it on the loom and tying it all up and then sitting and weaving. I like finger weaving and I like what I was doing one Sunday, Inkle weaving.

inkle loomThis is a table inkle loom. I was using a floor version but I forgot to take a picture and couldn’t find one with the weaving on it.

I took the beginner class for the second time. I took it the first time a few years ago. Its not like most weaving where you only see the cross threads or you see the treads going in both directions. This is warp faced weaving. It means you see the threaded that are held on the loom not the threads you are putting back and forth. it also only makes narrow pieces. You use it to make straps and belts and trim.

book mark sampleThis is the beginning. you can see at the bottom where I started isn’t as nice as it is a little farther along. In the beginner class we make a scissor pouch.

twisting the fringethis is twisting the fringe the a really cool tool that makes it supper fast and easy.

twisted fringeYou can see the little snip scissors inside the pouch.

scissor pouch finishedThis is the finished pouch . You wear it around  you neck and when. you need to cut some thread you slide the snips out and there you go.

What I like about his kind of weaving is its so fast to warp the loom and the weaving goes really fast. When I finish my felt boots I may make some decorative trim for them.

This entry was posted in Experiments, Uncategorized, Weaving and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to I Did Some Weaving

I like your pouch very much!

It looks like fun – the only weaving I’ve ever done is on a children’s toy plastic loom (but I enjoyed it!)

The pouch is wonderful Ann. Perhaps you can do some straps for my yurt! 🙂

3. elizabeth says:

I like small looms, too. I still have no interest in the big floor looms. But I like my inkle and my rigid heddle looms.

4. This type of weaving is new to me. I don’t really do these kinds of project. But, it would be useful to know.

5. Karen says:

OH that looks like fun Ann, i’ve never been interested in weaving either, and i dont understand all the jargon that goes with it lol Your pouch looks gorgeous though and something different for a nice easy project. I agree with Ruth, you should make some straps for her yurt !!!!!!!! 🙂

6. pamd says:

Lovely, Ann.

7. woolbrain says:

Love the pouch for your snips 🙂 I have a loom like this BUT have never used it ….I will have to change that ! ( I inherited it) I love your blog always fun and informative. Thanks

• Thank you Woolbrain. you should give it a try. the must be some YouTube videos showing you how. the scissors are very handy and much harder to loose when they are around your neck.

8. Karen says:

Variety is the spice of life Ann, or so they say lol

9. That’s what they tell us Karen.

I love weaving, but have never tried it. I like the way this looks, I have some friendship bracelets that look very similar. I can’t work out how you did it or how all the other ways differ. It is interesting 🙂