2012 4th Quarter Weather Challenge

I didn’t get a chance to felt my pieces for Karen’s 2012 4th Quarter Weather Challenge until New Year’s day, but I have been thinking about it since she posted it. I like to take pictures of the sky and clouds anyway, but I started looking at them and thinking how I could try to capture them in felt. I also started to make up some blends of wool and fibres to capture the colours and tones.

I didn’t want to try to recreate any of the photos, just try to capture the feeling of the ever changing sky and clouds. This first piece is based on some of the sunsets here recently, they haven’t been as deep or spectacular as usual, probably because it’s been wet, dark and warm instead of bright and cold, but sometimes there’s a little hint of peachey copper.

weather challenge (5)This is a close up of the coppery silk throwster’s waste

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis next piece is based on the thick white and grey cloudy days; billowing, rolling clouds, subtley changing as they grow and float past. It is made from lots of different natural white and light grey wools blended with flax, soy fibre and bamboo for soft golden highlights. The locks are Gotland and Mohair and Bluefaced Leicester.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI love days when we get huge swirling black and grey clouds, constantly changing as they storm through the sky. These next two pieces are part of a larger one inspired by dark, cloudy days. I used carded Gotland wool for the background and laid raw Gotland locks in shades from light grey to black on top for the rolling clouds.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThis last piece wasn’t based on a photo I took or anything I saw out of the window, but it was inspired by many photos of the effects of the torrential rain we’ve had in the UK over the past 3 months (or last 9 really). A lot of the photos haven’t been pretty; muddy brown water waist deep, roads and pavements broken, whole rows of houses collapsed…but there have beeen some spectacular ones of stormy, cloudy skies and stormy seas, raging rivers, and some great ones of large stormy clouds in bright blue skies reflected on miles ofย  flooded fields. I wish I’d downloaded the photos, but I’m not sure I could post them without infringeing copyright. This last piece is probably my favourite.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAIf you’d like to see some of my sky photos, they’re in a set on flickr

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This entry was posted in Challenges, natural wools, Other Fibers, Wet Felting and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to 2012 4th Quarter Weather Challenge

1. ans says:

Hi Zed,
    What a nice thing you’ve made. It looks like a painting! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Greetz,
    Ans
    the Netherlands.

2. Nancy says:

Beautiful. I enjoyed your commentary in addition to the lovely works of art.

3. It is interesting how you can work in wool, the same way you work in paint. Abstract art can be used to capture a quick impression. Lovely.

Thanks, Judy ๐Ÿ™‚
      I realised a while ago that my felt work looks very similar to my abstract paintings.

4. Great works Zed. They really do feel like weather.

You’re a dark horse Zed – I didn’t know that you are also a painter until I read your reply to Judy.
    I, too, enjoyed your commentary and I particularly like the final piece.

Thanks, Lyn ๐Ÿ™‚
      I haven’t painted for a year or two now, maybe if I had enough room to leave my stuff out it’d be more worthwhile.

Lovely work zed. Wonderful moody skies, you’ve portrayed our recent weather very well, in fact I’d say it’s “better than the weather” ! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks, Judith ๐Ÿ™‚
      I’m lucky to have a nice view of the sky from my front window, even though the city centre is about half a mile away. I probably wouldn’t be enjoying it so much if I’d been flooded too.

Wonderful! You really have captured the feeling of different types of weather.

8. Pingback: Looking Ahead 2013 | feltingandfiberstudio