Felt Applique

Last week I went back to my class at the Gail Harker Creative Studies Center. For the first part of class, we worked on applique methods. We’re going to make little books out of our samples. All the samples are 4″x4″. I’ve completed the samples but haven’t bound the book yet. I thought you might like to see the pages before the book was bound together.

first four methods

4 methods

herringbone applique

layered

stacked

closed feather stitch

slip stitch

shadow

I took the photos at work so they aren’t the best but hopefully you get the idea. All of the pages have the same background color of felt even though they look like different colors of felt. The felt I used was hand dyed commercial felt but I think these applique techniques will work great with hand-made felt and all those extra felt scraps that Zed is always talking about 🙂

This entry was posted in Stitching and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Felt Applique

1. Oh wow, thanks for posting this. I clicked on your images to enlarge them. I love this idea of mini abstract pages. Make sure you post how you bind these.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Judy – the small samples are great fun for working out little compositions and binding them into a book is a great way to keep them together.

Looking good! It’s amazing how different the background colour can look with different shades of applique.
    As Judy says, we’ll look forward to seeing the binding technique.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks! The camera really has problems with red and so the other colors on top make the backgrounds look completely different in the eye of the camera somehow. The lighting wasn’t good either so that makes it worse 😦

My favourite is the third one down – can’t explain why though. The book should look great.

• ruthlane says:

Lyn – I liked that method too. It gave me some good ideas about using thread to attach scraps down but doing color blending at the same time.

4. 5 and 6 are my favourites. Is everything stitched? I cant see the stitches on some or are they just hidden well.

Wow, Ruth! They are gorgeous! I love the shapes and layering and stitching and composition, they all look really good 🙂

6. Karen says:

Oh they look gorgeous Ruth, i love the different shapes and stitches to, it’s going to make a great little book 🙂