Print to Stitch Homework

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I’ve been busy stitching away on my homework for my stitch class. This session we worked on printing photos on fabric and then adding layers of sheer fabric and stitch to “enhance” the photo. I’ve still got a couple more to go and one hand stitch one that isn’t shown that I’ve been stitching on for almost 8 weeks and I’m still only halfway there.

This entry was posted in Stitching and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Print to Stitch Homework

1. Sounds like my kind of workshop. I print on fabric all the time.

2. How beautiful is that!!!! Very very nice.

Those look great! I bought some photo transfer paper a while back, but haven’t used it yet. Perhaps I’ll have to give it a go.

Any tips would be appreciated. 🙂

• ruthlane says:

Thanks! I haven’t used the photo transfer paper. I printed these on fabric. You can buy it ready to print on or iron it to freezer paper. Print on plain paper first to make sure it will print the way you want.

How absorbing that stitching must be Ruth – and such pretty results!

Wow, they look great, Ruth 🙂
    How do you do it?
    I’ve tried photo transfer paper, and that worked really well for tee shirt designs, it was expensive at the time though. I read about freezer paper a few years ago, using it to help print from a personal printer onto cotton type fabric, but I’ve never seen freezer paper here.

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Zed! We used already prepared fabric that you can buy ready to print. Then you print your photo and peel the fabric off the paper. I backed the fabric with several layers of either fabric or batting. Then layer with netting or sheer fabric (using some you sent me) and stitch free motion on the machine. I did not realize you couldn’t get freezer paper. It is quite common here.

6. Karen says:

Wow Ruth they are gorgeous, now that makes me want to do some stitching 🙂

7. Very cool Ruth, I really have to try some free motion embroydery. the chipmonck must have taken a while to get all his fur done. Was it more dificult to do the rus one where you wher following lines more?

8. jane dolan says:

They all look fantastic, I especially like the rusty orange vehicle. I must find out if we have the equivalent of freezer paper here, as the printable fabric is really expensive. ( on second thoughts I better get on with the projects I have on the go, not go looking for more!!! )

• ruthlane says:

Thanks Jane! The printable fabric is really expensive but takes a lot less time and effort than using a solution on the fabric, letting it dry, ironing it to freezer paper and then cutting to the exact size. I actually thought paying the extra price was worth it. But again, as you say, don’t get side tracked 🙂

9. dye4more says:

absolutely fab, is there a name for this type of work or a book on it. I hope you share the finished projects with us